See live video — and later, full replay and transcript — of President Donald Trump at the Global Call to Action on the World Drug Problem on Monday, September 24, 2018 at UN Headquarters in New York City. See it in real time with the live stream video player embedded below starting at 8:30 a.m. EDT (GMT/UTC – 4). Thereafter check back for the full text and replay which will be posted as soon as available.
UPDATE: Full replay video and transcript have been added below.
Remarks by President Trump at “Global Call to Action on the World Drug Problem” Event
Issued on: September 24, 2018
United Nations Headquarters
New York, New York
8:35 A.M. EDT
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all for being here this morning. It is a great honor to address you on an issue that affects every nation across the globe: the world drug problem. And a big problem it is.
The scourge of drug addiction continues to claim too many lives in the United States and in nations around the world. Today, we commit to fighting the drug epidemic together.
I want to express my deep gratitude to Ambassador Haley for her outstanding leadership in counter-narcotics at the United Nations, along with the dedicated work of our great Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, who’s done an absolutely fantastic job, and Ambassador John Bolton. Thank you very much.
We also thank the Secretary-General for joining us at our special guest — and as our special guest. He’s become a great friend, and he’s doing a wonderful job at a very, very complex situation, but a beautiful situation. And I’ve always said the United Nations has tremendous potential, and that potential is being met. Slowly but surely, it’s being met.
We are likewise grateful to our 31 co-host countries. Each of you is taking critical steps to combat the global drug problem.
As the 2018 World Drug Report highlights, cocaine and opium production have hit record highs — incredibly — and global deaths caused by drug use have increased by 60 percent from the year 2000 to 2015. So, in 15 years, it gone up 60 percent, which is absolutely terrible.
As we know, illicit drugs are linked to organized crime, illegal financial flows, corruption, and terrorism. It’s vital for public health and national security that we fight drug addiction and stop all forms of trafficking and smuggling that provide the financial lifeblood for vicious transnational cartels.
In the United States, we’re taking aggressive action, securing our border, supporting law enforcement, devoting record funding to the opioid crisis, and promoting treatment and recovery.
Many nations here today are also taking bold action. Newly elected President Duque, Colombia, campaigned on an anti-drug platform, and won a very, very impressive victory. Congratulations.
We look forward to partnering with his new administration to eradicate coca production in his country. All of us must work together to dismantle drug production and defeat drug addiction.
For this reason, last month, the United States announced a “Global Call to Action on the World Drug Problem.” The call is simple: reduce drug demand; cut off the supply of illicit drugs; expand treatment; and strengthen international cooperation. If we take these steps together, we can save the lives of countless people in all corners of the world. And when I say countless, I’m talking about millions and millions of people.
I’m thrilled that every country in the room today has agreed to answer our call, and I want to thank each and every one of you for your commitment to this important initiative.
The United States looks forward to working with you to strengthen our communities, protect our families, and deliver a drug-free future for all of our children.
Thank you very much. And thank you for being here. We appreciate it. Thank you. (Applause.)
8:39 A.M. EDT
Live web-feed video player is above. As noted live coverage begins at 8:30 a.m. EDT (GMT/UTC – 4); 10:45 a.m. PDT local time. Use World Clock to find the equivalent in your time zone on Monday, September 24 or Tuesday, September 25, accordingly.
President Donald Trump’s public schedule for Monday, September 24, 2018 is below.
8:30 a.m. — Participates in the Global Call to Action on the World Drug Problem; UN Headquarters, New York City
2:45 p.m. — Meets with South Korean President Moon; New York City
3:45 p.m. — Participates in a signing ceremony for the United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement; New York City
5:15 p.m. — Meets with Egyptian President Sisi; New York City
6:30 p.m. — Meets with French President Macron; New York City
7:45 p.m. — With the first lady, participates in a Diplomatic Reception photo line; New York City
Scroll down for live stream and replays of previous White House press briefings, interviews and other Trump administration public events. Click here for the full index of posts on President Donald Trump.
Photo credit: screenshot via White House YouTube
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump at Signing Ceremony for Legislation Appropriating Funds for Energy, Water, Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, September 21, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Joint Press Conference with Polish President Andrzej Duda, Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Hosts Hispanic Heritage Month Event at the White House, September 17, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump at Signing Event on Strengthening Retirement Security in America in Charlotte, North Carolina. Friday, August 31, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump at Salute to the Heroes of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection at the White House, August 20, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech and Signing of H.R. 5515, the ‘John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019,’ Fort Drum, New York, August 13, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech on Workforce Development and Ceremonial Signing of H.R. 2353 in Tampa, Florida, Tuesday, July 31, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Joint Press Conference with Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte of Italy, Monday, July 30, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech on the Economy and GDP Report Showing 4.1 Percent, Friday, July 27, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump at Roundtable Discussion on Workforce Development, Northeast Iowa Community College, Peosta, Iowa, Thursday, July 26, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at Granite City Works – Steel Coil Warehouse, Granite City, Illinois, Thursday, July 26, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at VFW National Convention, Tuesday, July 24, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump at Made in America Product Showcase, Monday, July 23, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump at Pledge to America’s Workers Event, Thursday, July 19, 2018