See live video — and later, full replay and transcript — of President Donald Trump’s statement on Thursday, February 15, 2018 on the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida that claimed the lives of 17 people. See it in real time with the live stream video player embedded below starting at 11 a.m. ET local time (GMT/UTC – 5). Thereafter check back for the full text and replay which will be posted as soon as available.
UPDATE: Full replay video and transcript have been added below.
Statement by President Trump on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida
Issued on: February 15, 2018
11:22 A.M. EST
THE PRESIDENT: My fellow Americans, today I speak to a nation in grief. Yesterday, a school filled with innocent children and caring teachers became the scene of terrible violence, hatred, and evil.
Around 2:30 yesterday afternoon, police responded to reports of gunfire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida — a great and safe community. There, a shooter, who is now in custody, opened fire on defenseless students and teachers. He murdered 17 people and badly wounded at least 14 others.
Our entire nation, with one heavy heart, is praying for the victims and their families. To every parent, teacher, and child who is hurting so badly, we are here for you — whatever you need, whatever we can do, to ease your pain. We are all joined together as one American family, and your suffering is our burden also.
No child, no teacher, should ever be in danger in an American school. No parent should ever have to fear for their sons and daughters when they kiss them goodbye in the morning.
Each person who was stolen from us yesterday had a full life ahead of them — a life filled with wondrous beauty and unlimited potential and promise. Each one had dreams to pursue, love to give, and talents to share with the world. And each one had a family to whom they meant everything in the world.
Today, we mourn for all of those who lost their lives. We comfort the grieving and the wounded. And we hurt for the entire community of Parkland, Florida that is now in shock, in pain, and searching for answers.
To law enforcement, first responders, and teachers who responded so bravely in the face of danger: We thank you for your courage. Soon after the shooting, I spoke with Governor Scott to convey our deepest sympathies to the people of Florida and our determination to assist in any way that we can. I also spoke with Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.
I’m making plans to visit Parkland to meet with families and local officials, and to continue coordinating the federal response.
In these moments of heartache and darkness, we hold on to God’s word in scripture: “I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. I will heal you.”
We trust in that promise, and we hold fast to our fellow Americans in their time of sorrow.
I want to speak now directly to America’s children, especially those who feel lost, alone, confused or even scared: I want you to know that you are never alone and you never will be. You have people who care about you, who love you, and who will do anything at all to protect you. If you need help, turn to a teacher, a family member, a local police officer, or a faith leader. Answer hate with love; answer cruelty with kindness.
We must also work together to create a culture in our country that embraces the dignity of life, that creates deep and meaningful human connections, and that turns classmates and colleagues into friends and neighbors.
Our administration is working closely with local authorities to investigate the shooting and learn everything we can. We are committed to working with state and local leaders to help secure our schools, and tackle the difficult issue of mental health.
Later this month, I will be meeting with the nation’s governors and attorney generals, where making our schools and our children safer will be our top priority. It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make that difference.
In times of tragedy, the bonds that sustain us are those of family, faith, community, and country. These bonds are stronger than the forces of hatred and evil, and these bonds grow even stronger in the hours of our greatest need.
And so always, but especially today, let us hold our loved ones close, let us pray for healing and for peace, and let us come together as one nation to wipe away the tears and strive for a much better tomorrow.
Thank you. And God Bless you all. Thank you very much.
11:28 A.M. EST
Live stream video is above. Live coverage begins at 11 a.m. ET local time (GMT/UTC – 5). With World Clock you can find the equivalent in your time zone on Thursday, February 15 or Friday February 16, accordingly.
Recent Tweets by President Trump on the tragedy are below:
So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 15, 2018
Just spoke to Governor Rick Scott. We are working closely with law enforcement on the terrible Florida school shooting.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018
My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018
President Donald Trump’s public schedule for Thursday, February 15, 2018 is below (ET; GMT/UTC – 5).
11:00 a.m. — Receives his intelligence briefing
1:15 p.m. — Meets with the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley
Scroll down for live stream and replays of previous White House press briefings, interviews and other Trump administration public events. Click here for the full index of posts on President Donald Trump. Click here for the full index of posts on Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
Photo credit: screenshot via White House YouTube
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Tax Reform Speech in Cincinnati, Ohio at Sheffer Corporation, Monday, February 5, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, Friday, January 26, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at H&K Equipment Company in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, Thursday, January 18, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at American Farm Bureau Federation’s 99th Annual Convention in Nashville, Tennessee, Monday, January 8, 2018
- [Full Video] President Donald Trump Press Conference at Camp David at Republican Congressional Leadership Retreat, Saturday, January 6, 2018
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Press Conference and GOP Tax Plan Bill Victory Event at the White House, Wednesday, December 20, 2017
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech on National Security Strategy, Monday, December 18, 2017
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at FBI National Academy Graduation Ceremony, FBI Academy, Stafford, Virginia, Friday, December 15, 2017
- [Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at Mississippi Civil Rights Museum Opening, Jackson, MS, Saturday, December 9, 2017
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump on Recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital and U.S. Embassy Move, Wednesday December 6, 2017
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Speech at Utah State Capitol in Salt Lake City, Monday, December 4, 2017
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Tax Reform Speech in St. Charles, Missouri, Wednesday, November 29, 2017
- [Full Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Announces Federal Reserve Chair Nominee Jerome Powell, Thursday, November 2, 2017
- [Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump Statement on the Opioid Crisis and Combating Drug Demand, Thursday, October 26, 2017
- [Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore Joint Statements, Monday, October 23, 2017
- [Video & Transcript] President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras of Greece Joint Press Conference, Tuesday, October 17, 2017