See live video — and later, full replay and transcript — of President Donald Trump’s statement on the violence in Charlotte, Virginia on Monday, August 14, 2017 at the White House. See it in real time with the live stream video player embedded below starting at 12 p.m. EDT (GMT/UTC -4). Thereafter check back for the full text and replay which will be posted as soon as available.
UPDATE: Full replay video and transcript have been added below.
Statement by President Trump
12:38 P.M. EDT
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. I’m in Washington today to meet with my economic team about trade policy and major tax cuts and reform. We are renegotiating trade deals and making them good for the American worker. And it’s about time.
Our economy is now strong. The stock market continues to hit record highs, unemployment is at a 16-year low, and businesses are more optimistic than ever before. Companies are moving back to the United States and bringing many thousands of jobs with them. We have already created over one million jobs since I took office.
We will be discussing economic issues in greater detail later this afternoon, but, based on the events that took place over the weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia, I would like to provide the nation with an update on the ongoing federal response to the horrific attack and violence that was witnessed by everyone.
I just met with FBI Director Christopher Wray and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the deadly car attack that killed one innocent American and wounded 20 others. To anyone who acted criminally in this weekend’s racist violence, you will be held fully accountable. Justice will be delivered.
As I said on Saturday, we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence. It has no place in America.
And as I have said many times before: No matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws, we all salute the same great flag, and we are all made by the same almighty God. We must love each other, show affection for each other, and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry, and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans.
Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.
We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under our Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America.
Two days ago, a young American woman, Heather Heyer, was tragically killed. Her death fills us with grief, and we send her family our thoughts, our prayers, and our love.
We also mourn the two Virginia state troopers who died in service to their community, their commonwealth, and their country. Troopers Jay Cullen and Burke Bates exemplify the very best of America, and our hearts go out to their families, their friends, and every member of American law enforcement.
These three fallen Americans embody the goodness and decency of our nation. In times such as these, America has always shown its true character: responding to hate with love, division with unity, and violence with an unwavering resolve for justice.
As a candidate, I promised to restore law and order to our country, and our federal law enforcement agencies are following through on that pledge. We will spare no resource in fighting so that every American child can grow up free from violence and fear. We will defend and protect the sacred rights of all Americans, and we will work together so that every citizen in this blessed land is free to follow their dreams in their hearts, and to express the love and joy in their souls.
Thank you. God bless you. And God bless America. Thank you very much.
12:43 P.M. EDT
Live stream video is above. Live coverage begins at 11:30 a.m. EDT local time (GMT – 4). With World Clock you can find the equivalent in your time zone on Monday, August 14 or Tuesday, August 15, accordingly.
President Donald Trump’s public schedule for Monday, August 14, 2017 is below (EDT; GMT/UTC – 4).
9:00 a.m. — Depart Bedminster, NJ en route to Morristown, NJ – Bedminster LZ
9:15 a.m. — Arrive Morristown Municipal Airport
9:25 a.m. — Depart Morristown, NJ en route Washington, DC
10:15 a.m. — Arrive Joint Base Andrews
10:25 a.m. — Depart Joint Base Andrews en route The White House
10:35 a.m. — Arrive The White House – South Lawn
11:15 a.m. — Meet with Chief of Staff General John Kelly – Treaty Room
3:00 p.m. — Sign a memorandum on addressing Chinas laws, policies, practices, and actions related to intellectual property, innovation, and technology – Diplomatic Reception Room
3:45 p.m. — Meets with the National Economic Council – Blue Room
7:00 p.m. — Depart The White House en route Joint Base Andrews – South Lawn
7:10 p.m. — Arrive at Joint Base Andrews
7:20 p.m. — Departs Joint Base Andrews en route New York, NY
8:15 p.m. — Arrive at John F. Kennedy International Airport
8:25 p.m. — Depart John F. Kennedy International Airport en route Wall Street Landing Zone
8:45 p.m. — Arrive Wall Street Landing Zone
8:55 p.m. — Depart Wall Street Landing Zone en route Trump Tower
9:10 p.m. — Arrive Trump Tower
9:30 p.m. — Speak with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan by telephone – Trump Tower
Scroll down for live stream and replays of previous White House press briefings, interviews and other Trump administration public events. Click here for the full index of posts on President Donald Trump.
Photo credit: screenshot via White House YouTube
- Video: President Donald Trump Press Conference after Security Briefing on North Korea, Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Opioid Crisis Briefing, Tuesday, August 8, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Department of Veterans Affairs Telehealth Event on Thursday, August 3, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Announces Legal Immigration Overhaul Legislation with Senator Tom Cotton and Senator David Perdue, Wednesday, August 2, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at an Event with Small Businesses at the White House, Tuesday, August 1, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Jobs Announcement, Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech on Health Care and Obamacare Replacement, Monday, July 24, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at the Commissioning Ceremony for the Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Makes Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Initiative Announcement, Thursday, July 20, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Made in America Product Showcase, Monday, July 17, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Three Seas Initiative Summit, Thursday, July 6, 2017, Warsaw, Poland
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Andrzej Duda of Poland Joint Press Conference, Thursday, July 6, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, South Korean President Moon Joint Statements to the Press, Friday, June 30, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India Joint Statements to the Press, Monday, June 26, 2017
- Full Video & Transcript: President Donald Trump, President Klaus Iohannis of Romania Joint Press Conference, Friday, June 9, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech at Department of Transportation, Friday, June 9, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Infrastructure Initiative Speech in Cincinnati, Ohio at Rivertowne Marina, Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Air Traffic Control Reform Initiative Announcement, Monday, June 5, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Statement on Paris Climate Accord, Thursday, June 1, 2017