Here’s the full video and transcript of President Donald Trump’s statement on the protests and violence in Charlottesville, Virginia delivered at a signing ceremony for the Veterans Affair Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 on Saturday, August 12, 2017 at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey. The full text and replay have been posted below.
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. As you know, this was a small press conference, but a very important one. And it was scheduled to talk about the great things that we’re doing with the secretary on the veterans administration. And we will talk about that very much so in a little while. But I thought I should put out a comment as to what’s going on in Charlottesville. So, again, I want to thank everybody for being here, in particular I want to thank our incredible veterans. And thank you, fellas. Let me shake your hand.
They’re great people. Great people. But we’re closely following the terrible events unfolding in Charlottesville, Virginia. We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides. It’s been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama, this has been going on for a long, long time. It has no place in America. What is vital now is a swift restoration of law and order and the protection of innocent lives. No citizen should ever fear for their safety and security in our society. And no child should ever be afraid to go outside and play or be with their parents and have a good time.
I just got off the phone with the governor of Virginia, Terry McAuliffe, and we agree that the hate and the division must stop, and must stop right now. We have to come together as Americans with love for our nation and true affection– really, I say this so strongly, true affection for each other. Our country is doing very well in so many ways. We have record — just absolute record employment. We have unemployment the lowest it’s been in almost 17 years. We have companies pouring into our country, Foxconn and car companies and so many others. They’re coming back to our country. We’re renegotiating trade deals to make them great for our country and great for the American worker.
We have so many incredible things happening in our country, so when I watch Charlottesville, to me it’s very, very sad. I want to salute the great work of the state and local police in Virginia. Incredible people. Law enforcement, incredible people. And also the National Guard. They’ve really been working smart and working hard. They’ve been doing a terrific job. Federal authorities are also providing tremendous support to the governor. He thanked me for that. And we are here to provide whatever other assistance is needed. We are ready, willing and able. Above all else, we must remember this truth: No matter our color, creed, religion or political party, we are all Americans first. We love our country. We love our god.
We love our flag. We’re proud of our country. We’re proud of who we are, so we want to get the situation straightened out in Charlottesville, and we want to study it. And we want to see what we’re doing wrong as a country where things like this can happen. My administration is restoring the sacred bonds of loyalty between this nation and its citizens, but our citizens must also restore the bonds of trust and loyalty between one another. We must love each other, respect each other and cherish our history and our future together. So important. We have to respect each other. Ideally, we have to love each other.
President Donald Trump’s public schedule for Saturday, August 12, 2017 is below (EDT; GMT/UTC – 4).
3 p.m. — Participates in a signing of the Veterans Affairs Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 – Trump National Golf Club Bedminster
Scroll down for live stream and replays of previous White House press briefings, interviews and other Trump administration public events. Click here for the full index of posts on President Donald Trump.
Photo credit: screenshot via White House YouTube
- Video: President Donald Trump Press Conference after Security Briefing on North Korea, Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Opioid Crisis Briefing, Tuesday, August 8, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Department of Veterans Affairs Telehealth Event on Thursday, August 3, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Announces Legal Immigration Overhaul Legislation with Senator Tom Cotton and Senator David Perdue, Wednesday, August 2, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at an Event with Small Businesses at the White House, Tuesday, August 1, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Jobs Announcement, Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech on Health Care and Obamacare Replacement, Monday, July 24, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at the Commissioning Ceremony for the Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Makes Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Initiative Announcement, Thursday, July 20, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Made in America Product Showcase, Monday, July 17, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Three Seas Initiative Summit, Thursday, July 6, 2017, Warsaw, Poland
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Andrzej Duda of Poland Joint Press Conference, Thursday, July 6, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, South Korean President Moon Joint Statements to the Press, Friday, June 30, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India Joint Statements to the Press, Monday, June 26, 2017
- Full Video & Transcript: President Donald Trump, President Klaus Iohannis of Romania Joint Press Conference, Friday, June 9, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech at Department of Transportation, Friday, June 9, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Infrastructure Initiative Speech in Cincinnati, Ohio at Rivertowne Marina, Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Air Traffic Control Reform Initiative Announcement, Monday, June 5, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Statement on Paris Climate Accord, Thursday, June 1, 2017