See live video — and later, full replay and transcript — of President Donald Trump announcing the Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Initiative at the White House on Thursday, July 20, 2017. See it in real time with the live stream video player embedded below starting at 3 p.m. EDT ((GMT/UTC -4). Thereafter check back for the full text and replay which will be posted as soon as available.
UPDATE: Full replay video and transcript have been added below.
Remarks by President Trump at Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Initiative Announcement
3:05 P.M. EDT
THE PRESIDENT: Well, thank you very much. Very exciting — and exciting times at the White House. A lot of things happening that are so great for our country. I want to welcome Made in America Week. This is what we call Made in America –right here, and they’re all here. Some of the great business minds, businesses geniuses. Congratulations fellas, that’s not a bad statement. (Laughter.)
But they’re right here with us, and I’ll tell you it’s an honor to have them. We’re continuing our celebration of American manufacturing, and it has been something very important to us — Made in the USA, Made in America — and our tribute to the skill, dedication, and grit of the American worker. We’re showcasing products from all around the country that are stamped with the beautiful letters “Made in the USA.”
Today I’m proud to welcome three more great companies — we’ve had quite a few wonderful companies — a little smaller generally speaking than yours, but every company is smaller than yours when you get right down to it to it — to the White House for really a major announcement which you’ll be hearing: Merck, Pfizer, and Corning.
These three companies are announcing that pharmaceutical glass packaging will now be made in America. That’s a big step. That’s a big statement. We’re very proud of that. Thank you very much, by the way. And I know they wouldn’t have done it under another administration. I feel confident.
These companies have formed a groundbreaking partnership to create thousands of American manufacturing jobs with this innovative new product. It’s an incredible product. Merck, Pfizer, and Corning are coming together to create an advanced pharmaceutical glass packaging operations, which include an immediate investment of at least $500 million and the creation of nearly 1,000 new jobs — and quickly.
The initial investment will be spread across facilities in New York, New Jersey, and a new manufacturing plant in southeast of the United States — they’re looking right now — which Corning will be announcing in the coming months, and there’s some pretty good competition. I know they’re going to make a great deal.
Eventually, the companies here today expect a total investment in this initiative to reach at least $4 billion and create some 4,000 American jobs. And it’s very innovative on top of it.
This initiative will bring a key industry to our shores that for too long has been dominated by foreign countries. We’re moving more and more companies back into the United States, and they’re doing more and more of these products. And that would have been unheard of even a couple of years ago.
These companies have achieved a breakthrough in pharmaceutical glass technology that will be used to store and deliver injectable drugs and vials and cartridges. This technology is not only great for American jobs and manufacturing, it’s great for patients who now will have access to safer medicines and vaccines.
It’s also great for the healthcare workers who can administer the drugs — makes it much, much safer for them and safely without having any problems and worrying about vial-breaking, which, as I understand, is a tremendous problem that we’re not going to have anymore.
I know that Secretary Price and the FDA are committed to working with innovative companies like these. We have tremendous excitement going on at the FDA. Amazing things are happening there, and I think we’re going to be announcing some of them over the next two months. We’re going to be streamlining, as we have in other industries, regulations so that advancements can reach patients quickly. You’re going to see a big streamlining — I think you already have. To a large extent, you already have. Very proud of that.
I especially want to thank Ken Frazier, Ian Read, and Wendell Weeks — so three of the great, great leaders of business in this country — along with all the great people at Merck, Pfizer, and Corning for believing in America and the American workers. This announcement reflects a central theme of my administration that when we invest in America, it’s a win for our companies, our workers, and our nation as a whole.
Every day, we are fighting to bring back our jobs, to restore our industry, and to put America first or, as you’ve heard, make America great again. That’s exactly what we’re doing. Some people have heard that expression. It’s been fairly well-used, I think.
I want to thank you all for being here, and I want to thank you for your dedication to Made in America. Really appreciate it very much, and I’d like to have you say a few words. Come on up. Thank you. (Applause.)
3:10 P.M. EDT
Live stream video is above. Live coverage begins at 3 p.m. EDT local time [GMT/UTC – 4]). With World Clock you can find the equivalent in your time zone on Thursday, July 20 or Friday, July 21, accordingly.
President Donald Trump’s public schedule for Thursday, July 20, 2017 is below (EDT; GMT/UTC – 4).
9:50 a.m. — Departs White House en route to the Pentagon – South Portico
10:05 a.m. — Participates in a Pol-Mil session – The Pentagon
11:35 a.m. — Departs the Pentagon en route to the White House – The Pentagon
3:00 p.m. — Make an announcement regarding a pharmaceutical glass packaging initiative – Roosevelt Room
Scroll down for live stream and replays of previous White House press briefings, interviews and other Trump administration public events. Click here for the full index of posts on President Donald Trump.
Photo credit: screenshot via White House YouTube
- Video: President Donald Trump at Made in America Product Showcase, Monday, July 17, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at Three Seas Initiative Summit, Thursday, July 6, 2017, Warsaw, Poland
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Andrzej Duda of Poland Joint Press Conference, Thursday, July 6, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, South Korean President Moon Joint Statements to the Press, Friday, June 30, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India Joint Statements to the Press, Monday, June 26, 2017
- Full Video & Transcript: President Donald Trump, President Klaus Iohannis of Romania Joint Press Conference, Friday, June 9, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech at Department of Transportation, Friday, June 9, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Infrastructure Initiative Speech in Cincinnati, Ohio at Rivertowne Marina, Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Air Traffic Control Reform Initiative Announcement, Monday, June 5, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Statement on Paris Climate Accord, Thursday, June 1, 2017
- Video & Transcript: President Donald Trump Speech at NATO Unveiling of the Article 5 and Berlin Wall Memorials, Brussels, Belgium, Thursday, May 25, 2017
- Video & Transcript: President Donald Trump Speech at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, Israel, Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority Statements in Bethlehem, Israel, Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel Joint Press Conference in Jerusalem, Israel, Monday, May 22, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Reuven Rivlin of Israel Joint Statement, Monday, May 22, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump at the Arab Islamic American Summit, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Sunday, May 21, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia Joint Press Conference, Thursday, May 18, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey Joint Statement, Tuesday, May 16, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Speech at 36th Annual National Peace Officers’ Memorial Service, Monday, May 15, 2017
- Video: President Donald Trump Liberty University Commencement Speech, Saturday, May 13, 2017