Here’s the full video and transcript of President Barack Obama’s interview with Steve Inskeep on NPR ‘Morning Edition.’ In an hour-long face-to-face discussion conducted at the White House he addressed a range of topics including the Presidential election, CIA claims of Russian hacking, how he would advise President-Elect Donald Trump in the use of executive orders and more. The replay and more details are below.
Video is above. The interview was conducted at the White House in the Cabinet Room on Thursday, December 15.
On Russian hacking:
In October, we said, after being very careful about it because we had no interest in appearing as if we were putting our thumbs on the scales, we did what was almost unprecedented which was, every intelligence agency in the federal government arrived at a consensus, that the Russians had hacked the DNC. And the information that was now being released was as a consequence of a decision by Russian intelligence and Russian officials at the highest levels.
So what the CIA is now assessing, which was it was done purposefully to tilt the election in the direction of a particular candidate, shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody. And in fact isn’t a surprise to anybody.
I think there is no doubt that when any foreign government tries to impact the integrity of our elections that we need to take action and we will, at a time and place of our own choosing. Some of it may be explicit and publicized; some of it may not be. But Mr. Putin is well aware of my feelings about this, because I spoke to him directly about it. And there is, you know, among the big powers, there has been a traditional understanding of that everybody is trying to gather intelligence on everybody else.
On executive action:
So my suggestion to the president-elect is, you know, going through the legislative process is always better, in part because it’s harder to undo.
And that doesn’t mean, though, that he is not going to come in and look at the various agencies and see the rules we’ve passed and if he wants to reverse some of those rules, that’s part of the democratic process. That’s, you know, why I tell people to vote because it turns out elections mean something.
The full transcript is here.
Photo credit: Screenshot
- Video: President Obama Talks Russian Hacking in MPR ‘Morning Edition’, Fri. Dec. 16, 2016
- Video: President Obama Press Conference, Fri. Dec. 16, 2016
- Video: President Obama Speech at My Brothers Keeper National Summit, Dec. 14, 2016
- Video: President Obama Signs the 21st Century Cures Act, Delivers Remarks at the White House, Tues. Dec. 13, 2016
- Video: President Obama MacDill Air Force Base Counter-Terrorism Speech, Tues. Dec. 6, 2016, Tampa, Florida
- Video: President Obama Press Conference, Lima, Peru, Sun. Nov. 20, 2016
- Video: President Obama Final Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative (YLAI) Town Hall, Lima, Peru, Sat. Nov. 19, 2016
- Video: U.S. President Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel Joint Press Conference, Sun., April 24, 2016
- Video: President Obama Speech in Athens, Greece at at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, Weds., Nov. 16, 2016
- Video: U.S. President Obama and Greek Prime Minister Tsipras Joint Press Conference, Tues., Nov. 15, 2016, Athens, Greece
- Video: President Obama Press Conference at the White House, Mon., Nov. 14, 2016
- Video & Transcript: President-Elect Donald Trump Meeting with President Obama at the White House, Thurs., Nov. 10, 2016
- Full Video & Transcript: President Obama Statement on President-Elect Donald Trump and the 2016 Election Results
- Video & Transcript: President Obama Obamacare Speech at Miami Dade College, Miami, Florida, Thurs. Oct. 20, 2016
- Video: President Obama Education Speech at Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, Washington, DC, Mon. Oct. 17, 2016
- Video: President Obama Speech at White House Frontiers Conference at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Oct. 13, 2016
- Video: President Obama: SXSL Discussion with Leonardo DiCaprio and Dr. Katharine Hayhoe at South By South Lawn at the White House, Oct. 3, 2016