Here is the video of Stephen Colbert’s tribute to his late mother, Lorna Tuck Colbert, on The Colbert Report on Comedy Central Weds. June 19, 2013. Watch the full replay video and get more details below.
Article Continues Below Ad
The video above. Stephen Colbert’s emotionally powerful and heart rending monologue opened the show. The faux conservative pundit stepped out of character and began by acknowledging the reason for his absence and offering thanks for the thoughts and prayers. He went on to say, “If you watch this show, and you like this show, it’s because of everybody who works here and I’m lucky to be one of them. When you watch the show, if you also like me, that’s because of my mom.”.
He thus went on to reminisce about his mother who recently died at age 92. She was the mother of 11 children in all to whom she had devoted her life. Reflecting upon his mother’s losses over the years — her husband as well as three of her sons — he said: “Her love for her family and her faith in God somehow gave her the strength not only to go on but to love life without bitterness and instill in all of us a gratitude for every day we have together.”
Summing up, he said, “And I know it may sound greedy to want more days with a person who lived so long, but the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut.”
Photo credit: Rocketboom (CC BY-SA 3.0)
- Stephen Colbert: Tribute to Boston (Video) after the Boston Marathon Explosions April 16, 2013
- Stephen Colbert Meet the Press: Full Video, Transcript Oct. 14, 2012 Interview with David Gregory
- Stephen Colbert Today Show Video May 4, 2012 Interview with David Gregory
- Stephen Colbert ABC This Week Video Jan. 15, 2012 Interview with George Stephanopoulos
Stephen Colbert on The View Video Oct. 19, 2010
- Stephen Colbert Congressional Testimony Video Sept. 24, 2010 House Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing