Watch President Barack Obama on The View; video of the full interview from the Tues. May 15, 2012 broadcast is below. Returning to the ABC daytime TV talk show, he marked his second appearance as the first sitting U.S. President to do so. He weighed in on a wide range of political, economic, personal and lighthearted topics — including same-sex marriage and the 2012 election — with co-hosts Barbara Walters, Whoopie Goldberg, Joy Behar, Sherri Shepherd, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.
Article Continues Below Ad
Part 1 of the interview is above. Watch the rest on YouTube:
Check back for full transcript text. A summary of the discussion is below. As in his previous appearance in July 2010 the program was taped a day earlier — May 14, 2012 — for broadcast.
On gay marriage and his public announcement in an interview with ABC’s Robin Roberts, he acknowledged that Vice President Joe Biden’s interview on Meet the Press rushed it ahead but he did not fault him. He said “It came out of a generosity of spirit. When you get to know Joe Biden, he is the most honest, straightforward guy,” Obama said. “He’s warm; he tells you what he thinks. We talked about it and what I said was I’m never going to blame anybody for telling what they believe.” He added: “I think it’s important for everybody in my administration to feel like, you know, we want to be disciplined, we want to make sure we’re getting the message out there but at the same time, on issues of principle, you know, I always admire people who go ahead and speak their minds.”
Asked about the particulars of his position on discrimination that exists at the federal level for same-sex couples he noted that the Justice Department no longer enforces DOMA, Defense of Marriage Act. He said of it: “We don’t think the Defense of Marriage Act is constitutional. This is something that historically had been determined at the state level and part of my believing ultimately that civil unions weren’t sufficient, and I’ve been a longtime supporter of civil unions for same-sex couples, was partly because of the issue of Social Security benefits and other laws.”
While same-sex marriage was the hot-button issue he also spoke about the election, as well as how his administration is handling the economy When asked he said he still gave himself an incomplete as a grade. He spoke about his opponent former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney the presumptive Republican nominee, contrasting differences on issues.
On family issues he spoke about his experience of coaching basketball for his daughters’ school. He also talked about his daughters Sasha and Malia and how he relates at this stage of their lives as well as how he and First Lady Michelle Obama are raising them.
He also took the infamous pop culture quiz as he did on his previous visit, answering some questions correctly, i.e. identifying Kim Kardashian as the one who had been married for 72 days; it was because he knew of of Kris Humphries.
More transcript excerpts at ABCNews.com
- Obama on The View (Video, Photos): Full Interview, Thurs. July 29, 2010
- President Obama Albany, New York Speech Video May 8, 2012: SUNY – Albany Nano-Tech Complex
- President Obama Washington-Lee High School Speech Video May 4, 2012 Arlington, Virginia
- President Obama Afghanistan Speech Video May 1, 2012: Osama bin Laden Death One-Year Anniversary Address to the Nation
- President Obama: Speech at Building and Construction Trades Department 2012 Legislative Conference Video
- President Obama Ft. Stewart Speech Video April 27, 2012: Hinesville, Georgia
President Obama Univ. of Iowa Speech Video April 25, 2012: Student Loans Address
- President Obama Univ. of Colorado at Boulder Speech Video April 24, 2012: Student Loans Address
- President Obama Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Speech Video April 24, 2012: Student Loans Address
- President Obama: Oil Policy Speech Video April 17, 2012: New Oversight of Energy Markets Outlined
- President Obama Tampa, Florida Speech Video April 13, 2012: Latin American Trade Benefits Address
- President Obama Florida Atlantic Univ. Speech Video April 10, 2012 in Boca Raton, FL
- President Obama: Speech on Congressional Vote to Repeal Oil Subsidies (Video) Mar. 29, 2012
- President Obama Ohio State Univ. Speech Video: Mar. 22, 2012 Columbus, Ohio
President Obama Cushing, OK Speech Video: Mar. 22, 2012 Keystone XL Pipeline Announcement
- President Obama New Mexico Speech Video: Mar. 21, 2012 Oil Fields near Maljamar
- President Obama Boulder City, Nevada Speech Video: Mar. 21, 2012 Copper Mountain Solar 1 Facility
- President Obama Largo, Maryland Speech Video Mar. 15, 2012: Prince George’s Community College
President Obama Prince George County, Virginia Speech Video: Mar. 9, 2012 Rolls Royce Plant
- President Obama Mt. Holly, North Carolina Speech Video March 7, 2012: Daimler Trucks North America
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 New Housing Plan Announced
- President Obama Nashua, New Hampshire Speech Video March 1, 2012: Nashua Community College
- President Obama UAW Speech Video: Feb. 28, 2012 United Auto Workers Community Action Program Conference
- President Obama Seattle, Washington Speech Video Feb. 17, 2012 at Boeing Everett Plant
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2012 Video: Jan. 24 Speech to Joint Session of Congress