Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, May 12, 2012, on radio and YouTube video. In his remarks this week, he urged Democrats and Republicans to come together and act on his Congressional “to-do list.”
The full speech text and video are below, followed by the Republican Weekly Address video.
Article Continues Below Ad
Weekly Address: Congress Must Act on “To-Do List”
Remarks of President Barack Obama
The White House
May 12, 2012
We all know the past few years have been difficult for this country. After the worst recession of our lifetimes, it will take longer than any of us would like for the economy to fully recover. But there are plenty of steps we can take to speed up the recovery. There are things we can do – right now – to help create jobs and restore some of the financial security that so many families have lost.
Now, the other side isn’t so optimistic. They think all we can do is cut taxes – especially for the wealthiest Americans – and go back to letting banks and corporations write their own rules again. That’s their plan.
But I think they’re wrong. We tried their ideas for nearly a decade, and it didn’t work out so well. We can’t go back to the same policies that got us into this mess. We’ve got to move forward. We need to build an economy where hard work and responsibility are rewarded – where you can find a good job, own your own home, maybe start a businesses, and give your kids the chance to do even better.
That’s where we need to go. And I’ve been pushing Congress to help us get there by passing a few common-sense policies that would make a difference. Democrats and Republicans have already done some important work together – from passing tax cuts for workers, to opening up new markets for American products, to reforming our patent system. But now we need to do more.
That’s why we made Congress a handy “To-Do” list – just like the kind I get from Michelle. It’s short, but each of the ideas on this list will help create jobs and build a stronger economy right now.
First, Congress should stop giving tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas, and use that money to cover moving expenses for companies that bring jobs back to America.
Second, Congress should help the millions of Americans who have worked hard and made their mortgage payments on time refinance their mortgages at lower rates and save at least $3,000 a year.
Third, Congress should help small business owners by giving them a tax break for hiring more workers and paying them higher wages. Small businesses are the engine of economic growth in this country. We shouldn’t be holding them back – we should be making it easier for them to succeed.
Fourth, if Congress fails to act soon, clean energy companies will see their taxes go up and could be forced to lay off employees. These companies are putting Americans to work and helping break our dependence on foreign oil. Congress should extend these tax credits.
And finally, Congress should help our veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan by creating a Veterans Job Corps. Our men and women in uniform have served this country with honor. Now it’s our turn to serve them.
So that’s Congress’s “To-Do” List. But now we need them to start crossing things off. I need you to call your Members of Congress, write an email, tweet, and let them know we can’t afford to wait any longer to get things done. Tell them now is the time to take steps we know will grow our economy and create jobs.
You’re working harder. You’re meeting your responsibilities. Your representatives in Washington should do the same. Let’s push Congress to do the right thing. Let’s keep moving this country forward together.
Thanks, and have a great weekend.
Click here to watch the May 12, 2012 Weekly Republican Address delivered by Rep. Kristi Noem of South Dakota, via GOP.gov, “discusses House Republicans’ Plan for America’s Job Creators. It’s a plan to reduce burdensome regulations, simplify our tax code, expand American energy production, cut Washington’s out of control spending binge, and provide an environment for our nation’s small businesses to grow….”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript May 5, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Washington-Lee High School Speech Video May 4, 2012 Arlington, Virginia
- President Obama Afghanistan Speech Video May 1, 2012: Osama bin Laden Death One-Year Anniversary Address to the Nation
- President Obama: Speech at Building and Construction Trades Department 2012 Legislative Conference Video
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 28, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 21, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 14, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Florida Atlantic Univ. Speech Video April 10, 2012 in Boca Raton, FL
- President Obama AP Luncheon Speech Video April 3, 2012: ASNE Convention Keynote Address
- President Obama: Speech on Congressional Vote to Repeal Oil Subsidies (Video) Mar. 29, 2012
- President Obama, South Korean President Lee: Joint News Conference Video Mar. 25, 2012
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 24, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Ohio State Univ. Speech Video: Mar. 22, 2012 Columbus, Ohio
President Obama Cushing, OK Speech Video: Mar. 22, 2012 Keystone XL Pipeline Announcement
- President Obama New Mexico Speech Video: Mar. 21, 2012 Oil Fields near Maljamar
- President Obama Boulder City, Nevada Speech Video: Mar. 21, 2012 Copper Mountain Solar 1 Facility
- President Obama Largo, Maryland Speech Video Mar. 15, 2012: Prince George’s Community College
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 17, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama, UK Prime Minister Cameron: Joint News Conference Video Mar. 14, 2012
President Obama Prince George County, Virginia Speech Video: Mar. 9, 2012 Rolls Royce Plant
- President Obama Mt. Holly, North Carolina Speech Video March 7, 2012: Daimler Trucks North America
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 New Housing Plan Announced
- President Obama: Speech at White House Conference on Conservation (Video) March 2, 2012
- President Obama Nashua, New Hampshire Speech Video March 1, 2012: Nashua Community College
- President Obama UAW Speech Video: Feb. 28, 2012 United Auto Workers Community Action Program Conference
- President Obama Seattle, Washington Speech Video Feb. 17, 2012 at Boeing Everett Plant
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2012 Video: Jan. 24 Speech to Joint Session of Congress