Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, April 28, 2012, on radio and YouTube video. In his remarks this week, he discussed a “new Executive Order designed to crack down on the bad actors who prey on our veterans and service members considering higher education.”
The full speech text and video are below, followed by the Republican Weekly Address video.
Article Continues Below Ad
Weekly Address: Helping our Veterans and Servicemembers Make Informed Decisions about Higher Education
Remarks of President Barack Obama
The White House
Saturday April 28, 2012
On Friday, I traveled to Ft. Stewart in Georgia to meet with soldiers from the Third Infantry Division.
These men and women have fought with bravery and honor in some of the most dangerous places on the planet. Some of them didn’t make it back. But those who did are now fighting a different kind of battle here at home. They’re looking for new jobs, new opportunities, and new ways to serve.
For many, that means going back to school – and America has a long tradition of making sure our veterans and our men and women in uniform can afford to do that. After World War II, we helped a generation of Americans – including my grandfather – go to school on the GI Bill. Now, thanks to the 9/11 GI Bill and the Tuition Assistance program, last year we supported more than half a million veterans and over 300,000 service members who are pursuing a higher education.
That’s progress. But it’s not enough to just help our veterans and service members afford school – we need to make sure they have all the tools they need to make an informed decision when it comes to picking the right program.
The sad truth is that there are people out there who are less interested in helping our men and women in uniform get ahead and more interested in making a buck. They bombard potential students with emails and pressure them into making a quick decision. Some of them steer recruits towards high-interest loans and mislead them about credit transfers and job placement programs. One of the worst examples was a college recruiter who visited a Marine barracks and enrolled Marines with brain injuries so severe that some of them couldn’t recall what courses the recruiter had signed them up for.
That’s appalling. It’s disgraceful. And even though the vast majority of schools do the right thing, we need to guard against the bad actors who don’t.
That’s why, on Friday, I signed an Executive Order making life a whole lot more secure for our service members, veterans and their families – and a whole lot tougher for anyone who tries to prey on them.
We’re making sure veterans and service members get a simple fact sheet called “Know Before You Owe” that lays out all the information they need about financial aid and paying for college. We’re requiring schools to offer counseling to help students finish their degree even if they have to move or deploy. And we’re stepping up our efforts to fight dishonest recruiters by strengthening rules about who can come on base and making it easier to file complaints.
When our men and women in uniform succeed, our country succeeds. They have our back – now it’s our turn to have theirs. And as long as I’m President, I’m going to make sure that anyone who serves this country gets every opportunity they deserve.
Thank you, and have a great weekend.
Click here to watch the April 28, 2012 Weekly Republican Address delivered by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) via GOP.gov, discussing “the House Republican Budget, The Path to Prosperity. It is a responsible budget that tackles our fiscal crisis and protects future generations from a crushing burden of debt. This weekend (April 29) marks exactly 3 years since the Democrat-controlled Senate last passed a budget. That’s inexcusable. We must stop Washington’s reckless spending to save our country from fiscal collapse.”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 21, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 14, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Florida Atlantic Univ. Speech Video April 10, 2012 in Boca Raton, FL
- President Obama AP Luncheon Speech Video April 3, 2012: ASNE Convention Keynote Address
- President Obama: Speech on Congressional Vote to Repeal Oil Subsidies (Video) Mar. 29, 2012
- President Obama, South Korean President Lee: Joint News Conference Video Mar. 25, 2012
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 24, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Ohio State Univ. Speech Video: Mar. 22, 2012 Columbus, Ohio
President Obama Cushing, OK Speech Video: Mar. 22, 2012 Keystone XL Pipeline Announcement
- President Obama New Mexico Speech Video: Mar. 21, 2012 Oil Fields near Maljamar
- President Obama Boulder City, Nevada Speech Video: Mar. 21, 2012 Copper Mountain Solar 1 Facility
- President Obama Largo, Maryland Speech Video Mar. 15, 2012: Prince George’s Community College
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 17, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama, UK Prime Minister Cameron: Joint News Conference Video Mar. 14, 2012
President Obama Prince George County, Virginia Speech Video: Mar. 9, 2012 Rolls Royce Plant
- President Obama Mt. Holly, North Carolina Speech Video March 7, 2012: Daimler Trucks North America
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 New Housing Plan Announced
- President Obama: Speech at White House Conference on Conservation (Video) March 2, 2012
- President Obama Nashua, New Hampshire Speech Video March 1, 2012: Nashua Community College
- President Obama UAW Speech Video: Feb. 28, 2012 United Auto Workers Community Action Program Conference
- President Obama Seattle, Washington Speech Video Feb. 17, 2012 at Boeing Everett Plant
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2012 Video: Jan. 24 Speech to Joint Session of Congress