Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, January 21, 2012, on radio and YouTube video. In his speech this week, the President discussed a series of steps he has taken without the help of Congress to grow the economy and create jobs, including a newly unveiled strategy to foster tourism by making it easier for travelers to visit the United States.
The full speech text and video are below, followed by the Republican Weekly Address video.
Article continues below.
WEEKLY ADDRESS: Creating Jobs by Boosting Tourism
Remarks of President Barack Obama
As Prepared for Delivery
The White House
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Hello, everybody. On Thursday, I went down to Florida to visit Disneyworld. To Sasha and Malia’s great disappointment, I was not there to hang out with Mickey or ride Space Mountain. Instead, I was there to talk about steps we’re taking to boost tourism and create jobs.
Tourism is the number one service we export. Every year, tens of millions of tourists come from all over the world to visit America. They stay in our hotels, eat at our restaurants, and see all the sights America has to offer.
That’s good for local businesses. That’s good for local economies. And the more folks who visit America, the more Americans we get back to work. It’s that simple.
We can’t wait to seize this opportunity. As I’ve said before, I will continue to work with Congress, states, and leaders in the private sector to find ways to move this country forward. But where they can’t act or won’t act, I will. Because we want the world to know that America is open for business. And that’s why I announced steps we’re taking to promote America and make it easier for tourists to come and visit.
Frequent travelers who pass an extensive background check will be able to scan their passports and fingerprints and skip long lines at immigration at more airports. We’re going to expand the number of countries where visitors can get pre-cleared by Homeland Security so they don’t need a tourist visa. And we’re going to speed up visa processing for countries with growing middle classes that can afford to visit America – countries like China and Brazil.
We want more visitors coming here. We want them spending money here. It’s good for our economy, and it will help provide the boost more businesses need to grow and hire. And we can’t wait to make it happen.
Too often over the last few months, we’ve seen Congress drag its feet and refuse to take steps we know will help strengthen our economy. That’s why this is the latest in a series of actions I’ve taken on my own to help our economy keep growing, creating jobs, and restoring security for middle-class families.
In September, we decided to stop waiting for Congress to fix No Child Left Behind and give states the flexibility they need to help our kids meet higher standards. We made sure that small businesses that have contracts with the Federal Government can get paid faster so they can start hiring more people. We made it easier for veterans to get jobs and put their skills to work. We took steps to help families whose home values have fallen refinance their mortgages and save up to thousands of dollars a year. We sped up the loan process for companies that want to rebuild our roads and bridges – putting construction workers back on the job. And I appointed Richard Cordray to be America’s consumer watchdog and protect working Americans from the worst abuses of the financial industry.
These are good steps. Now we need to do more.
On Tuesday evening, I’ll deliver my State of the Union Address, where I’ll lay out my blueprint for actions we need to take together – not just me, or Congress, but every American – to rebuild an economy where hard work and responsibility are rewarded. An economy that’s built to last.
I hope you’ll tune in. In the meantime, I’m going to keep doing everything I can to make this country not only the best place to visit and do business – but the best place to live and work and build a better life.
Thanks for watching. Have a great weekend. And I’ll see you on Tuesday.
Click here to watch the Jan. 21, 2012 Weekly Republican Address delivered by House Republican Conference Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) via GOP.gov, discussing the president’s forthcoming State of the Union address, saying, in part: “The State of the Union is a time for truth-telling. And the sad truth is that the president’s policies are making our economy worse.”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Disney World Speech Video Jan. 19, 2012: Tourism and Travel Address, Orlando, Florida
- President Obama Council on Jobs and Competitiveness Speech Video Jan. 17, 2012 Meeting at White House
- President Obama Government Reform Speech Video Jan. 13, 2012
- President Obama Insourcing American Jobs Speech Video Jan. 11, 2012 White House Forum
- President Obama EPA Speech Video Jan. 10, 2012: Environmental Protection Agency Staff Address
- President Obama Speech on Resignation of W.H. Chief of Staff Bill Daley: Video, Transcript Jan. 9, 2012
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 7, 2012 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Speech Video Jan. 6, 2012
- President Obama Defense Strategic Review Speech Video Jan. 5, 2012 Pentagon Press Briefing Room
- President Obama Cleveland, Ohio Speech Video: Jan. 4, 2012 Shaker Heights High School Address on the Economy
- President Obama Payroll Tax Cut Speech Video: Dec. 22, 2011
President Obama Payroll Tax Cut Speech Video: Dec. 17, 2011 Statement on Senate Vote
President Obama Home Care Workers Speech Video Dec. 15, 2011: Statement at We Can’t Wait Event
- President Obama Fort Bragg, North Carolina Speech Video Dec. 14, 2011: Address to Iraq War Veterans
- U.S. President Obama, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki Joint News Conference Video: Dec. 12, 2011
- President Obama 60 Minutes Video, Transcript Dec. 11, 2011 Full Interview with Steve Kroft
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Dec. 10, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Speech Video Dec. 8, 2011: White House Press Conference
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Dec. 3, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Speech Video Dec. 5, 2011: White House Press Conference
- President Obama Energy Efficiency in Buildings Speech Video Dec. 2, 2011: Better Buildings Challenge Address
- President Obama Scranton, Pennsylvania Video Nov. 30, 2011 Address at Scranton High School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Thanksgiving Nov. 24, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama New Hampshire Speech Video Nov. 22, 2011 Address at Manchester Central High School
- President Obama Super Committee Speech Video: Nov. 21, 2011 Statement on Supercommittee Failure on Deficit Reduction
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Nov. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Australian Parliament Speech Video Nov. 16, 2011 (Nov. 17): Address at Great Hall of Parliament House in Canberra
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 13, 2011 APEC Summit Speech in Honolulu, Hawaii
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Nov. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Veterans Day Speech Video 11-11-11 – November 11, 2011 – Arlington Wreath Laying Ceremony at Tomb of the Unknowns
- President Obama National Women’s Law Center Awards Dinner Speech Video Nov. 9, 2011 Keynote Address
- President Obama Yeadon, Pennsylvania Speech Video Nov. 8, 2011 Address at Yeadon Regional Head Start Center
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 4, 2011 G-20 Summit Speech in Cannes, France
- President Obama Iraq Speech Video Oct. 21, 2011: All U.S. Troops out of Iraq
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Oct. 20, 2011 Statement on Muammar Gaddafi Death
- President Obama North Chesterfield, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Fire Station 9
- President Obama Hampton, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Langley Air Force Base
- President Obama Emporia, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Greensville County High School
- President Obama Jamestown, North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Guilford Technical Community College
- President Obama North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 17, 2011: Asheville, West Wilkes High School
- Obama, Lee GM Orion Assembly Plant Speech Video: Oct. 14, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents in Lake Orion, Michigan
- President Obama State Dinner with South Korean President Lee Live Stream Video Oct. 13, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video: Oct. 6, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Joint Chiefs of Staff Ceremony Speech Video Sept. 30, 2011 Address at Change of Office at Ft Myer
President Obama Back to School Speech Video Sept. 28, 2011 Annual Address to Students