Watch President Barack Obama’s payroll tax cut speech video from Sat., Dec. 17, 2011. He will deliver a statement on the Senate vote on legislation that will extend Social Security payroll tax cut and long-term jobless benefits for two months. The address at the Brady Press Briefing Room at White House starts at 12 p.m. ET (9 a.m. PT). See live stream video online via the embedded video player below at that time. Thereafter check back for the full replay video and transcript text.
UPDATE: Replay video and transcript are below.
Article continues below.
Remarks by the President on the Payroll Tax Cut Extension
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
12:30 P.M. EST
THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody. In the last few weeks, I set out a simple principle: Congress should not go home for vacation until it finds a way to avoid hitting 160 million Americans with a tax hike on January 1st. Extending the payroll tax cut that shows up in people’s paychecks every week is an idea that I proposed in September as part of the American Jobs Act.
At a time when so many Americans are working harder and harder just to keep up, the extra $1,000 or so that the average family would get from this tax cut makes a real difference when you’re trying to buy groceries or pay the bills, make a mortgage or make a repair. And all kinds of independent economists agree — the number-one challenge facing businesses right now is a lack of demand from consumers, which is why more people spending money means companies that are more successful and more able to hire more workers.
Today, Congress has finally agreed to extend this middle-class tax cut into next year. And they’ve also agreed to another part of my jobs plan, extending unemployment insurance for millions of Americans who are out there trying as hard as they can to find a job. This is spending money that also benefits families and businesses and the entire economy. And it’s a lifeline that would have been lost for more than two and a half million people in the first two months of next year if Congress had not acted.
So I’m very pleased to see the work that the Senate has done. While this agreement is for two months, it is my expectation — in fact it would be inexcusable for Congress not to further extend this middle-class tax cut for the rest of the year. It should be a formality. And hopefully it’s done with as little drama as possible when they get back in January.
This really isn’t hard. There are plenty of ways to pay for these proposals. This is a way to boost the economy that has been supported by these very same Democrats and Republicans in the past. It is something that economists believe will assure that the economy and the recovery is on a more stable footing than it otherwise would be. And my preference, and the preference of most Americans, is that we ask the wealthiest few Americans to pay their fair share and corporations to do without special taxpayer subsidies to cover some of the costs. But I think that it’s important for us to get it done.
We’ve got a lot more work to do for the people who sent us here. But today, I’m glad that both parties in Congress came together, and I want to thank them for ensuring that as we head into the holidays, folks at home don’t have to worry about their taxes going up.
So I had a chance to talk to Senator Reid and Senator McConnell. I thanked them for their cooperation on this issue. I’m looking forward to the House moving forward and getting this done when they get back on Monday. And hopefully we’re going to be able to make sure that when everybody gets back next year we extend this further all the way to the end of the year.
Thank you very much, everybody.
END **12:34 P.M. EST
Link for mobile viewing. Live web-feed video is above. The streaming video can also be seen on CNN Live and CNN for iPhone and iPad app You can also watch using the White House iPad and iPhone app, a free download. The event begins at 12 p.m. ET (9 a.m. PT) and the location is the the Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, DC.
The President will discuss today’s vote by the U.S. Senate — 89-10 — in favor of legislation extending a payroll tax holiday and jobless benefits for 2 months while forcing a decision of his administration on the Keystone XL oil pipeline within 60 days.
Today’s full itinerary is here: President Obama official schedule and guidance, December 17, 2011.
Preview video below.
President Obama Home Care Workers Speech Video Dec. 15, 2011: Statement at We Can’t Wait Event
- President Obama Fort Bragg, North Carolina Speech Video Dec. 14, 2011: Address to Iraq War Veterans
- U.S. President Obama, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki Joint News Conference Video: Dec. 12, 2011
- President Obama 60 Minutes Video, Transcript Dec. 11, 2011 Full Interview with Steve Kroft
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Dec. 10, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Speech Video Dec. 8, 2011: White House Press Conference
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Dec. 3, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
President Obama Speech Video Dec. 5, 2011: White House Press Conference
- President Obama Energy Efficiency in Buildings Speech Video Dec. 2, 2011: Better Buildings Challenge Address
- President Obama Scranton, Pennsylvania Video Nov. 30, 2011 Address at Scranton High School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Thanksgiving Nov. 24, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama New Hampshire Speech Video Nov. 22, 2011 Address at Manchester Central High School
- President Obama Super Committee Speech Video: Nov. 21, 2011 Statement on Supercommittee Failure on Deficit Reduction
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Nov. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Australian Parliament Speech Video Nov. 16, 2011 (Nov. 17): Address at Great Hall of Parliament House in Canberra
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 13, 2011 APEC Summit Speech in Honolulu, Hawaii
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Nov. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Veterans Day Speech Video 11-11-11 – November 11, 2011 – Arlington Wreath Laying Ceremony at Tomb of the Unknowns
- President Obama National Women’s Law Center Awards Dinner Speech Video Nov. 9, 2011 Keynote Address
- President Obama Yeadon, Pennsylvania Speech Video Nov. 8, 2011 Address at Yeadon Regional Head Start Center
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 4, 2011 G-20 Summit Speech in Cannes, France
- President Obama Iraq Speech Video Oct. 21, 2011: All U.S. Troops out of Iraq
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Oct. 20, 2011 Statement on Muammar Gaddafi Death
- President Obama North Chesterfield, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Fire Station 9
- President Obama Hampton, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Langley Air Force Base
- President Obama Emporia, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Greensville County High School
- President Obama Jamestown, North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Guilford Technical Community College
- President Obama North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 17, 2011: Asheville, West Wilkes High School
- Obama, Lee GM Orion Assembly Plant Speech Video: Oct. 14, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents in Lake Orion, Michigan
- President Obama State Dinner with South Korean President Lee Live Stream Video Oct. 13, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video: Oct. 6, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Joint Chiefs of Staff Ceremony Speech Video Sept. 30, 2011 Address at Change of Office at Ft Myer
President Obama Back to School Speech Video Sept. 28, 2011 Annual Address to Students
- President Obama Denver, Colorado Speech Video Sept. 27, 2011 Address at Abraham Lincoln High School
President Obama LinkedIn Town Hall Video Sept. 26, 2011 Speech at LinkedIn Headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- President Obama Cincinnati, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 22, 2011: Brent Spence Bridge Address
- President Obama Tax Plan Speech Video Sept. 19, 2011: Budget Deficit Reduction Plan Address
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 25, 2011: Presidential Address to the Nation on Budget Deficit Talks
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference: Debt Ceiling, Debt Talks
- President Obama Interview with Scott Pelley Video July 12, 2011 CBS Evening News
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the Debt Ceiling
- President Obama Afghanistan Speech Video June 22, 2011: Address on Afghan War Troop Withdrawal
- President Obama 60 Minutes Video, Transcript May 8, 2011 Full Interview with Steve Kroft
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress