Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, Nov. 12, 2011 on radio and YouTube video. In his speech this week — recorded on board the USS Carl Vinson in San Diego during Veterans Day — the President “called on all Americans to rededicate themselves to serving our brave men and women in uniform as well as they have served us.”
The full speech text and video are below, followed by the Republican Weekly Address video.
Article continues below.
Internet replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
WEEKLY ADDRESS: Honoring our Veterans for their Service and Sacrifice
Remarks of President Barack Obama
As Prepared for Delivery
San Diego, California
Saturday, November 12, 2011
I’m speaking to you from the bridge of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson in San Diego. This is one of the biggest ships in the Navy, and on Friday it was home to one of the most unique college basketball games I’ve ever seen. It also gave members of our military and our veterans a chance to unwind a little bit, and on this Veterans Day, I want to take this opportunity to thank all our men and women in uniform for their service and their sacrifice.
But this day isn’t just about thanking our veterans. It’s about rededicating ourselves to serving our veterans as well as they’ve served us. And right now, that’s more important than ever.
Last month, I announced that, as promised, we will end the war in Iraq by the end of the year. Many of our military families will be welcoming loved ones home for the holidays. At the same time, we’ve begun to wind down the war in Afghanistan. And in the next five years, over a million service members will transition back into civilian life – joining the 3 million who have already done so over the last decade.
These are men and women who have served with distinction in some of the most dangerous places on the planet. But for many of them, the challenges don’t end when they take off the uniform. Today, more than 850,000 veterans remain unemployed. And too many are struggling to find a job worthy of their talents and experience.
That’s not right. We ask these men and women to leave their families and their jobs and risk their lives to fight for our country. The last thing they should have to do is fight for a job when they get home.
To give our veterans the opportunities they’ve earned, I’ve directed the federal government to lead by example – and already, we’ve hired 120,000 veterans. We’ve also challenged private companies to hire or train 100,000 post-9/11 veterans or their spouses by the end of 2013. So far, many patriotic companies have answered the call, hiring more than 16,000 Americans. And yesterday, thanks to the hard work of Michelle and Dr. Jill Biden, companies announced their commitment to train or hire 125,000 more over the next two years.
But we need to do more. That’s why, as part of the American Jobs Act, I called on Congress to pass a Returning Heroes Tax Credit, which would give businesses a tax break for each unemployed veteran they hire; and a Wounded Warriors Tax Credit, which would give businesses a tax break for hiring an unemployed veteran with a disability related to their service in uniform.
These proposals will go a long way towards putting our veterans back to work. And on Thursday, I was pleased to see the Senate put partisanship aside and come together to pass these tax credits. After all, standing up for our veterans isn’t a Democratic responsibility or a Republican responsibility – it’s an American responsibility. It’s one that all of us have an obligation to meet. And the House should pass this bill as soon as possible so I can sign it into law.
As Commander-in-Chief, I want every veteran to know that America will always honor your service and your sacrifice – not just today, but every day. And just as you fought for us, we’re going to keep fighting for you – for more jobs, for more security, for the opportunity to keep your families strong and America competitive in the 21st century.
So to all our veterans – thank you for your service. God bless you. And may God bless the United States of America.
Click here to watch the Nov. 12, 2011 Republican Weekly address delivered by Rep. Joe Heck of Nevada via GOP.gov, “thanking our nation’s veterans and those currently serving in our armed forces in honor of Veterans Day.”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Veterans Day Speech Video 11-11-11 – November 11, 2011 – Arlington Wreath Laying Ceremony at Tomb of the Unknowns
- President Obama National Women’s Law Center Awards Dinner Speech Video Nov. 9, 2011 Keynote Address
- President Obama Yeadon, Pennsylvania Speech Video Nov. 8, 2011 Address at Yeadon Regional Head Start Center
- President Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 4, 2011 G-20 Summit Speech in Cannes, France/a>
President Obama Georgetown Waterfront Park Speech Video Nov. 2, 2011 Address at Key Bridge on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Denver, Colorado Speech Video Oct. 26, 2011 Address on Student Loan Repayment Changes
- President Obama Las Vegas Speech Video Oct. 24, 2011 Address on New Mortgage Rules
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Oct. 22, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Iraq Speech Video Oct. 21, 2011: All U.S. Troops out of Iraq
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Oct. 20, 2011 Statement on Muammar Gaddafi Death
- President Obama North Chesterfield, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Fire Station 9
- President Obama Hampton, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Langley Air Force Base
- President Obama Emporia, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Greensville County High School
- President Obama Jamestown, North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Guilford Technical Community College
- President Obama North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 17, 2011: Asheville, West Wilkes High School
- Obama, Lee GM Orion Assembly Plant Speech Video: Oct. 14, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents in Lake Orion, Michigan
- President Obama State Dinner with South Korean President Lee Live Stream Video Oct. 13, 2011
- Obama, Lee Press Conference Video: Oct. 13, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents’ Joint News Conference
- President Obama Pittsburgh Speech Video Oct. 11, 2011 Address at International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Obama Press Conference Video: Oct. 6, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Eastfield College Speech Video Oct. 4, 2011 Address in Mesquite, Texas
- President Obama HRC Keynote Speech Video Oct. 1, 2011 Human Rights Campaign 15th Annual National Dinner
- President Obama Joint Chiefs of Staff Ceremony Speech Video Sept. 30, 2011 Address at Change of Office at Ft Myer
President Obama Back to School Speech Video Sept. 28, 2011 Annual Address to Students
- President Obama Denver, Colorado Speech Video Sept. 27, 2011 Address at Abraham Lincoln High School
President Obama LinkedIn Town Hall Video Sept. 26, 2011 Speech at LinkedIn Headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- President Obama Cincinnati, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 22, 2011: Brent Spence Bridge Address
- President Obama Tax Plan Speech Video Sept. 19, 2011: Budget Deficit Reduction Plan Address
- President Obama North Carolina State Univ. Speech Video September 14, 2011 Address in Raleigh, NC on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Columbus, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 13, 2011 Address at Fort Hayes High School
- President Obama American Jobs Act Speech Video Sept. 12, 2011: Statement at Rose Garden Ceremony
- President Obama Labor Day Speech Video Sept. 5, 2011: Address in Detroit at GM Renaissance Center
- President Obama Jobs Speech Video Sept. 8, 2011: Address to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Speech Video Aug 31, 2011: Statement on Surface Transportation Bill
- President Obama American Legion Annual Conference Speech Video Aug 30, 2011: Address in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- President Obama Speech Video Aug. 29, 2011: Announcement of Alan Krueger as Head of Council of Economic Advisers
- President Obama Hurricane Irene Speech Video Aug. 28, 2011: Statement on Disaster Relief
- President Obama Hurricane Irene Speech Video Aug. 26, 2011: Statement on Emergency Response
- President Obama Libya Speech Video: Aug. 22, 2011 Statement on Moammar Gadhafi and Libyan War
- President Obama Alpha, Illinois Town Hall Video Aug. 17, 2011 Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Country Corner Farm Market
- President Obama Atkinson, Illinois Town Hall Video Aug. 17, 2011 Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Wyffels Hybrids, Inc.
- President Obama Decorah, Iowa Town Hall Video: Aug. 15, 2011: Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Seed Savers Exchange
- President Obama Cannon Falls, Minnesota Town Hall Video Aug. 15, 2011 Economic Bus Tour, Speech at Lower Hannah’s Bend Park
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Aug. 13, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Fuel Efficiency Standards Speech Video Aug. 9 2011: Address at Interstate Moving Services in Springfield, VA
- President Obama Speech Video Aug. 8, 2011 Statement on S&P Downgrade of U.S. Credit Rating to AA+
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video Aug. 2, 2011: Address on Budget Deal>
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 31, 2011: Statement on Budget Deficit Agreement
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 29, 2011
- President Obama Fuel Efficiency Speech Video July 29, 2011: Address on Fuel Economy Standards
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 25, 2011: Presidential Address to the Nation on Budget Deficit Talks
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video: July 22, 2011 Press Conference on Budget Deficit Talks
- President Obama Town Hall Video July 22, 2011: Speech on Debt Ceiling at Univ. of Maryland
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 19, 2011: Statement on Debt Talks Progress
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference: Debt Ceiling, Debt Talks
- President Obama Interview with Scott Pelley Video July 12, 2011 CBS Evening News
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the Debt Ceiling
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript July 9, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama June Jobs Report Speech Video July 8, 2011: Statement on Unemployment
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video, Transcript July 7, 2011
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 5, 2011 Address on Debt Talks
- Obama Press Conference Video: June 29, 2011 Presidential News Conference
- President Obama Fort Drum Speech Video June 23, 2011: Address to 10th Mountain Division Soldiers
- President Obama Afghanistan Speech Video June 22, 2011: Address on Afghan War Troop Withdrawal
- President Obama Puerto Rico Speech Video June 14, 2011 Address at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript June 11, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- Obama Merkel Press Conference Video: June 7, 2011 U.S. President, German Chancellor Joint News Conference
- President Obama State Dinner with German Chancellor Merkel Live Stream Video June 7, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript June 4, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Memorial Day 2011 Speech Video: Arlington National Cemetery, Tomb of the Unknowns Wreath Laying Ceremony
- President Obama Joplin, Missouri Memorial Service Speech Video May 29, 2011: Joplin, Missouri Tornado
- President Obama Address to British Parliament Video May 25, 2011: Speech at West
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress