Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011 on radio and YouTube video. In his speech this week, the President discussed “how the death of Moammar Qadhafi in Libya and the announcement that troops from Iraq will return home by the end of the year are strong reminders that the United States has renewed its leadership in the world.”
The full speech text and video are below, followed by the Republican Weekly Address video.
Article continues below.
Internet replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Weekly Address: ‘US Has Renewed Its Leadership In The World’
This week, we had two powerful reminders of how we’ve renewed American leadership in the world. I was proud to announce that—as promised—the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of this year. And in Libya, the death of Moammar Qadhafi showed that our role in protecting the Libyan people, and helping them break free from a tyrant, was the right thing to do.
In Iraq, we’ve succeeded in our strategy to end the war. Last year, I announced the end of our combat mission in Iraq. We’ve already removed more than 100,000 troops, and Iraqi forces have taken full responsibility for the security of their own country. Thanks to the extraordinary sacrifices of our men and women in uniform, the Iraqi people have the chance to forge their own future. And now the rest of our troops will be home for the holidays.
In Libya, our brave pilots and crews helped prevent a massacre, save countless lives, and give the Libyan people the chance to prevail. Without putting a single U.S. service member on the ground, we achieved our objectives. Soon, our NATO mission will come to a successful end even as we continue to support the Libyan people, and people across the Arab world, who seek a democratic future.
These successes are part of a larger story. After a decade of war, we’re turning the page and moving forward, with strength and confidence. The drawdown in Iraq allowed us to refocus on Afghanistan and achieve major victories against al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden. As we remove the last of our troops from Iraq, we’re beginning to bring our troops home from Afghanistan.
To put this in perspective, when I took office, roughly 180,000 troops were deployed in these wars. By the end of this year that number will be cut in half, and an increasing number of our troops will continue to come home.
As we end these wars, we’re focusing on our greatest challenge as a nation—rebuilding our economy and renewing our strength at home. Over the past decade, we spent a trillion dollars on war, borrowed heavily from overseas and invested too little in the greatest source of our national strength—our own people. Now, the nation we need to build is our own.
We have to tackle this challenge with the same urgency and unity that our troops brought to their fight. That’s why we have to do everything in our power to get our economy moving again. That’s why I’m calling on Congress to pass the American Jobs Act, so we can rebuild our country – our schools, our roads, our bridges – and put our veterans, construction workers, teachers, cops and firefighters back to work. And that’s why I hope all of us can draw strength from the example of our men and women in uniform.
They’ve met their responsibilities to America. Now it’s time to meet ours. It’s time to come together and show the world why the United States of America remains the greatest source for freedom and opportunity that the world has ever known.
Click here to watch the Oct. 22, 2011 Republican Weekly address delivered by Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina via GOP.gov, saying in part: “Some in Washington, including the President, are suggesting that we simply spend more money. We’ve already tried that – it did not spur job growth then, and it won’t now. The American people realize that this is not about how much money Washington can spend. It’s about getting government out of the way and creating the climate for growth and jobs.
“The President has even ignored the suggestions of his own commission. Rather than implement even a single one of the strategic reforms and investments suggested by Simpson-Bowles, we continue to ignore our fiscal problems and focus only on spending more money and expanding the size of the federal government. This lack of fiscal discipline is unsustainable and cannot continue — you know it, and I know it. The longer we kick the can down the road, the more difficult it will be to address our real problems and spur real job growth.”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Iraq Speech Video Oct. 21, 2011: All U.S. Troops out of Iraq
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Oct. 20, 2011 Statement on Muammar Gaddafi Death
- President Obama North Chesterfield, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Fire Station 9
- President Obama Hampton, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Langley Air Force Base
- President Obama Emporia, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Greensville County High School
- President Obama Jamestown, North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Guilford Technical Community College
- President Obama North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 17, 2011: Asheville, West Wilkes High School
- Obama, Lee GM Orion Assembly Plant Speech Video: Oct. 14, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents in Lake Orion, Michigan
- President Obama State Dinner with South Korean President Lee Live Stream Video Oct. 13, 2011
- Obama, Lee Press Conference Video: Oct. 13, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents’ Joint News Conference
- President Obama Pittsburgh Speech Video Oct. 11, 2011 Address at International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Obama Press Conference Video: Oct. 6, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Eastfield College Speech Video Oct. 4, 2011 Address in Mesquite, Texas
- President Obama HRC Keynote Speech Video Oct. 1, 2011 Human Rights Campaign 15th Annual National Dinner
- President Obama Joint Chiefs of Staff Ceremony Speech Video Sept. 30, 2011 Address at Change of Office at Ft Myer
President Obama Back to School Speech Video Sept. 28, 2011 Annual Address to Students
- President Obama Denver, Colorado Speech Video Sept. 27, 2011 Address at Abraham Lincoln High School
President Obama LinkedIn Town Hall Video Sept. 26, 2011 Speech at LinkedIn Headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- President Obama Cincinnati, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 22, 2011: Brent Spence Bridge Address
- President Obama Tax Plan Speech Video Sept. 19, 2011: Budget Deficit Reduction Plan Address
- President Obama North Carolina State Univ. Speech Video September 14, 2011 Address in Raleigh, NC on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Columbus, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 13, 2011 Address at Fort Hayes High School
- President Obama American Jobs Act Speech Video Sept. 12, 2011: Statement at Rose Garden Ceremony
- Obama Univ. of Richmond Speech Video Sept. 9, 2011: Richmond, VA Address on Jobs and the Economy
- President Obama Labor Day Speech Video Sept. 5, 2011: Address in Detroit at GM Renaissance Center
- President Obama Jobs Speech Video Sept. 8, 2011: Address to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Speech Video Aug 31, 2011: Statement on Surface Transportation Bill
- President Obama American Legion Annual Conference Speech Video Aug 30, 2011: Address in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- President Obama Speech Video Aug. 29, 2011: Announcement of Alan Krueger as Head of Council of Economic Advisers
- President Obama Hurricane Irene Speech Video Aug. 28, 2011: Statement on Disaster Relief
- President Obama Hurricane Irene Speech Video Aug. 26, 2011: Statement on Emergency Response
- President Obama Libya Speech Video: Aug. 22, 2011 Statement on Moammar Gadhafi and Libyan War
- President Obama Alpha, Illinois Town Hall Video Aug. 17, 2011 Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Country Corner Farm Market
- President Obama Atkinson, Illinois Town Hall Video Aug. 17, 2011 Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Wyffels Hybrids, Inc.
- President Obama Decorah, Iowa Town Hall Video: Aug. 15, 2011: Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Seed Savers Exchange
- President Obama Cannon Falls, Minnesota Town Hall Video Aug. 15, 2011 Economic Bus Tour, Speech at Lower Hannah’s Bend Park
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Aug. 13, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Holland, Michigan Speech Video Aug. 11, 2011: Address at Johnson Controls Inc.
- President Obama Fuel Efficiency Standards Speech Video Aug. 9 2011: Address at Interstate Moving Services in Springfield, VA
- President Obama Speech Video Aug. 8, 2011 Statement on S&P Downgrade of U.S. Credit Rating to AA+
- President Obama Veterans Jobs Initiative Speech Video Aug. 5, 2011: Address at Washington Navy Yard
- President Obama 50th Birthday Celebration, Campaign Fundraiser (Video, Photos) Chicago, Aug. 3, 2011
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video Aug. 2, 2011: Address on Budget Deal>
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 31, 2011: Statement on Budget Deficit Agreement
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 29, 2011
- President Obama Fuel Efficiency Speech Video July 29, 2011: Address on Fuel Economy Standards
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 25, 2011: Presidential Address to the Nation on Budget Deficit Talks
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video: July 22, 2011 Press Conference on Budget Deficit Talks
- President Obama Town Hall Video July 22, 2011: Speech on Debt Ceiling at Univ. of Maryland
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 19, 2011: Statement on Debt Talks Progress
President Obama Speech Video July 18, 2011: Richard Cordray Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Nomination Announcement
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference: Debt Ceiling, Debt Talks
- President Obama Interview with Scott Pelley Video July 12, 2011 CBS Evening News
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the Debt Ceiling
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript July 9, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama June Jobs Report Speech Video July 8, 2011: Statement on Unemployment
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video, Transcript July 7, 2011
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 5, 2011 Address on Debt Talks
- Obama Press Conference Video: June 29, 2011 Presidential News Conference
- President Obama Iowa Speech Video June 28, 2011 Address at Alcoa Davenport Works Factory
- President Obama Carnegie Mellon Univ. Speech Video June 24, 2011 Address in Pittsburgh, PA
- President Obama Fort Drum Speech Video June 23, 2011: Address to 10th Mountain Division Soldiers
- President Obama Afghanistan Speech Video June 22, 2011: Address on Afghan War Troop Withdrawal
- Obama Speech Video Dec 16. 2010: Statement on the Afghanistan-Pakistan Annual Review
- President Obama Puerto Rico Speech Video June 14, 2011 Address at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
- President Obama Durham, North Carolina Speech Video June 13, 2011 Address at Cree, Inc.
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript June 11, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Speech Video June 8, 2011 Address at Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria
- Obama Merkel Press Conference Video: June 7, 2011 U.S. President, German Chancellor Joint News Conference
- President Obama State Dinner with German Chancellor Merkel Live Stream Video June 7, 2011
- President Obama Toledo, Ohio Speech Video June 3, 2011: Address at Chrysler Group Toledo Supplier Park
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript June 4, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Memorial Day 2011 Speech Video: Arlington National Cemetery, Tomb of the Unknowns Wreath Laying Ceremony
- President Obama Joplin, Missouri Memorial Service Speech Video May 29, 2011: Joplin, Missouri Tornado
- President Obama Address to British Parliament Video May 25, 2011: Speech at Westminster Hall
- President Obama Dublin, Ireland Speech Video May 23, 2011 Address at College Green O’Connell Street Snow Patrol Concert
- President Obama May 24, 2011 State Dinner with Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace (Video)
- President Obama AIPAC Speech Video: May 22, 2011 Address on Israel at AIPAC Policy Conference 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript May 21, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Middle East Speech Video May 19, 2011 Address on U.S. Policy in the Mideast and North Africa
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress