Watch President Barack Obama’s Libya speech video on Thurs. Oct. 20, 2011. He delivers a statement on the death of Muammar Gaddafi. The address begins at 2 p.m. ET. Watch live stream video at that time. Thereafter check back for the full replay video and transcript text.
UPDATE: Replay video and transcript have been posted below.
Article continues below.
Article Continues Below Ad
REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT ON THE DEATH OF MUAMMAR QADDAFI
2:07 P.M. EDT
THE PRESIDENT: Good afternoon, everybody. Today, the government of Libya announced the death of Muammar Qaddafi. This marks the end of a long and painful chapter for the people of Libya, who now have the opportunity to determine their own destiny in a new and democratic Libya.
For four decades, the Qaddafi regime ruled the Libyan people with an iron fist. Basic human rights were denied. Innocent civilians were detained, beaten and killed. And Libya’s wealth was squandered. The enormous potential of the Libyan people was held back, and terror was used as a political weapon.
Today, we can definitively say that the Qaddafi regime has come to an end. The last major regime strongholds have fallen. The new government is consolidating the control over the country. And one of the world’s longest-serving dictators is no more.
One year ago, the notion of a free Libya seemed impossible. But then the Libyan people rose up and demanded their rights. And when Qaddafi and his forces started going city to city, town by town, to brutalize men, women and children, the world refused to stand idly by.
Faced with the potential of mass atrocities — and a call for help from the Libyan people — the United States and our friends and allies stopped Qaddafi’s forces in their tracks. A coalition that included the United States, NATO and Arab nations persevered through the summer to protect Libyan civilians. And meanwhile, the courageous Libyan people fought for their own future and broke the back of the regime.
So this is a momentous day in the history of Libya. The dark shadow of tyranny has been lifted. And with this enormous promise, the Libyan people now have a great responsibility — to build an inclusive and tolerant and democratic Libya that stands as the ultimate rebuke to Qaddafi’s dictatorship. We look forward to the announcement of the country’s liberation, the quick formation of an interim government, and a stable transition to Libya’s first free and fair elections. And we call on our Libyan friends to continue to work with the international community to secure dangerous materials, and to respect the human rights of all Libyans — including those who have been detained.
We’re under no illusions — Libya will travel a long and winding road to full democracy. There will be difficult days ahead. But the United States, together with the international community, is committed to the Libyan people. You have won your revolution. And now, we will be a partner as you forge a future that provides dignity, freedom and opportunity.
For the region, today’s events prove once more that the rule of an iron fist inevitably comes to an end. Across the Arab world, citizens have stood up to claim their rights. Youth are delivering a powerful rebuke to dictatorship. And those leaders who try to deny their human dignity will not succeed.
For us here in the United States, we are reminded today of all those Americans that we lost at the hands of Qaddafi’s terror. Their families and friends are in our thoughts and in our prayers. We recall their bright smiles, their extraordinary lives, and their tragic deaths. We know that nothing can close the wound of their loss, but we stand together as one nation by their side.
For nearly eight months, many Americans have provided extraordinary service in support of our efforts to protect the Libyan people, and to provide them with a chance to determine their own destiny. Our skilled diplomats have helped to lead an unprecedented global response. Our brave pilots have flown in Libya’s skies, our sailors have provided support off Libya’s shores, and our leadership at NATO has helped guide our coalition. Without putting a single U.S. service member on the ground, we achieved our objectives, and our NATO mission will soon come to an end.
This comes at a time when we see the strength of American leadership across the world. We’ve taken out al Qaeda leaders, and we’ve put them on the path to defeat. We’re winding down the war in Iraq and have begun a transition in Afghanistan. And now, working in Libya with friends and allies, we’ve demonstrated what collective action can achieve in the 21st century.
Of course, above all, today belongs to the people of Libya. This is a moment for them to remember all those who suffered and were lost under Qaddafi, and look forward to the promise of a new day. And I know the American people wish the people of Libya the very best in what will be a challenging but hopeful days, weeks, months and years ahead.
Thank you, very much.
END 2:12 P.M. EDT
Link for mobile viewing. Live web-feed video is above. The streaming video is also available at CNN Live as well as CNN for iPhone and iPad app It can also be seen via the White House iPad and iPhone app, a free download. The speech will start at 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT).
The President will deliver a statement to the press on reports of the death of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, the former dictator of Libya.
Today’s complete itinerary is here: President Obama official schedule and guidance, October 20, 2011.
For more on the breaking news story, see a round-up of reports and commentary. Watch a video report below.
- Muammar Gaddafi killed in gun battle — NTC military
- Muammar Gaddafi is dead, NTC says – live coverage
- Obituary – Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, 69, Is Dead – NYTimes.com
- Gruesome Photos of Dead Gaddafi Circulate On Twitter: Beware of Malware
- Live blog: Gadhafi is dead, interim Libyan prime minister says
- President Obama North Chesterfield, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Fire Station 9
- President Obama Hampton, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 19, 2011: Langley Air Force Base
- President Obama Emporia, Virginia Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Greensville County High School
- President Obama Jamestown, North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 18, 2011: Guilford Technical Community College
- President Obama North Carolina Bus Tour Speech Video Oct. 17, 2011: Asheville, West Wilkes High School
- Obama, Lee GM Orion Assembly Plant Speech Video: Oct. 14, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents in Lake Orion, Michigan
- President Obama State Dinner with South Korean President Lee Live Stream Video Oct. 13, 2011
- Obama, Lee Press Conference Video: Oct. 13, 2011 U.S. and South Korean Presidents’ Joint News Conference
- President Obama Pittsburgh Speech Video Oct. 11, 2011 Address at International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Obama Press Conference Video: Oct. 6, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Eastfield College Speech Video Oct. 4, 2011 Address in Mesquite, Texas
- President Obama HRC Keynote Speech Video Oct. 1, 2011 Human Rights Campaign 15th Annual National Dinner
- President Obama Joint Chiefs of Staff Ceremony Speech Video Sept. 30, 2011 Address at Change of Office at Ft Myer
President Obama Back to School Speech Video Sept. 28, 2011 Annual Address to Students
- President Obama Denver, Colorado Speech Video Sept. 27, 2011 Address at Abraham Lincoln High School
President Obama LinkedIn Town Hall Video Sept. 26, 2011 Speech at LinkedIn Headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- President Obama Cincinnati, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 22, 2011: Brent Spence Bridge Address
- President Obama Tax Plan Speech Video Sept. 19, 2011: Budget Deficit Reduction Plan Address
- President Obama North Carolina State Univ. Speech Video September 14, 2011 Address in Raleigh, NC on the American Jobs Act
- President Obama Columbus, Ohio Speech Video Sept. 13, 2011 Address at Fort Hayes High School
- President Obama American Jobs Act Speech Video Sept. 12, 2011: Statement at Rose Garden Ceremony
- Obama Univ. of Richmond Speech Video Sept. 9, 2011: Richmond, VA Address on Jobs and the Economy
- President Obama Labor Day Speech Video Sept. 5, 2011: Address in Detroit at GM Renaissance Center
- President Obama Jobs Speech Video Sept. 8, 2011: Address to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Speech Video Aug 31, 2011: Statement on Surface Transportation Bill
- President Obama American Legion Annual Conference Speech Video Aug 30, 2011: Address in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- President Obama Speech Video Aug. 29, 2011: Announcement of Alan Krueger as Head of Council of Economic Advisers
- President Obama Hurricane Irene Speech Video Aug. 28, 2011: Statement on Disaster Relief
- President Obama Hurricane Irene Speech Video Aug. 26, 2011: Statement on Emergency Response
- President Obama Libya Speech Video: Aug. 22, 2011 Statement on Moammar Gadhafi and Libyan War
- President Obama Alpha, Illinois Town Hall Video Aug. 17, 2011 Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Country Corner Farm Market
- President Obama Atkinson, Illinois Town Hall Video Aug. 17, 2011 Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Wyffels Hybrids, Inc.
- President Obama Decorah, Iowa Town Hall Video: Aug. 15, 2011: Midwest Bus Tour, Speech at Seed Savers Exchange
- President Obama Cannon Falls, Minnesota Town Hall Video Aug. 15, 2011 Economic Bus Tour, Speech at Lower Hannah’s Bend Park
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Aug. 13, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Holland, Michigan Speech Video Aug. 11, 2011: Address at Johnson Controls Inc.
- President Obama Fuel Efficiency Standards Speech Video Aug. 9 2011: Address at Interstate Moving Services in Springfield, VA
- President Obama Speech Video Aug. 8, 2011 Statement on S&P Downgrade of U.S. Credit Rating to AA+
- President Obama Veterans Jobs Initiative Speech Video Aug. 5, 2011: Address at Washington Navy Yard
- President Obama 50th Birthday Celebration, Campaign Fundraiser (Video, Photos) Chicago, Aug. 3, 2011
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video Aug. 2, 2011: Address on Budget Deal>
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 31, 2011: Statement on Budget Deficit Agreement
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 29, 2011
- President Obama Fuel Efficiency Speech Video July 29, 2011: Address on Fuel Economy Standards
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 25, 2011: Presidential Address to the Nation on Budget Deficit Talks
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video: July 22, 2011 Press Conference on Budget Deficit Talks
- President Obama Town Hall Video July 22, 2011: Speech on Debt Ceiling at Univ. of Maryland
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 19, 2011: Statement on Debt Talks Progress
President Obama Speech Video July 18, 2011: Richard Cordray Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Nomination Announcement
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference: Debt Ceiling, Debt Talks
- President Obama Interview with Scott Pelley Video July 12, 2011 CBS Evening News
- Obama Press Conference Video: July 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference on the Debt Ceiling
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript July 9, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama June Jobs Report Speech Video July 8, 2011: Statement on Unemployment
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video, Transcript July 7, 2011
- President Obama Debt Ceiling Speech Video July 5, 2011 Address on Debt Talks
- Obama Press Conference Video: June 29, 2011 Presidential News Conference
- President Obama Iowa Speech Video June 28, 2011 Address at Alcoa Davenport Works Factory
- President Obama Carnegie Mellon Univ. Speech Video June 24, 2011 Address in Pittsburgh, PA
- President Obama Fort Drum Speech Video June 23, 2011: Address to 10th Mountain Division Soldiers
- President Obama Afghanistan Speech Video June 22, 2011: Address on Afghan War Troop Withdrawal
- Obama Speech Video Dec 16. 2010: Statement on the Afghanistan-Pakistan Annual Review
- President Obama Puerto Rico Speech Video June 14, 2011 Address at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
- President Obama Durham, North Carolina Speech Video June 13, 2011 Address at Cree, Inc.
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript June 11, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video)
- President Obama Speech Video June 8, 2011 Address at Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria
- Obama Merkel Press Conference Video: June 7, 2011 U.S. President, German Chancellor Joint News Conference
- President Obama State Dinner with German Chancellor Merkel Live Stream Video June 7, 2011
- President Obama Toledo, Ohio Speech Video June 3, 2011: Address at Chrysler Group Toledo Supplier Park
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript June 4, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Memorial Day 2011 Speech Video: Arlington National Cemetery, Tomb of the Unknowns Wreath Laying Ceremony
- President Obama Joplin, Missouri Memorial Service Speech Video May 29, 2011: Joplin, Missouri Tornado
- President Obama Address to British Parliament Video May 25, 2011: Speech at Westminster Hall
- President Obama Dublin, Ireland Speech Video May 23, 2011 Address at College Green O’Connell Street Snow Patrol Concert
- President Obama May 24, 2011 State Dinner with Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace (Video)
- President Obama AIPAC Speech Video: May 22, 2011 Address on Israel at AIPAC Policy Conference 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript May 21, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Middle East Speech Video May 19, 2011 Address on U.S. Policy in the Mideast and North Africa
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress