Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, April 16, 2011, on radio and YouTube. In his remarks, the President discussed fiscal responsibility, telling the nation that “we all need to share in the sacrifice – but we don’t have to sacrifice the America we believe in.”
Article continues below.
Replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Weekly Address: “We Can Live Within Our Means and Live Up to the Values We Share as Americans”
Remarks of President Barack Obama
As Prepared for Delivery
Saturday, April 16, 2011
This week, I laid out my plan for our fiscal future. It’s a balanced plan that reduces spending and brings down the deficit, putting America back on track toward paying down our debt.
We know why this challenge is so critical. If we don’t act, a rising tide of borrowing will damage our economy, costing us jobs and risking our future prosperity by sticking our children with the bill.
At the same time, we have to take a balanced approach to reducing our deficit – an approach that protects the middle class, our commitments to seniors, and job-creating investments in things like education and clean energy. What’s required is an approach that draws support from both parties, and one that’s based on the values of shared responsibility and shared prosperity.
Now, one plan put forward by some Republicans in the House of Representatives aims to reduce our deficit by $4 trillion over the next ten years. But while I think their goal is worthy, I believe their vision is wrong for America.
It’s a vision that says at a time when other nations are hustling to out-compete us for the jobs and businesses of tomorrow, we have to make drastic cuts in education, infrastructure, and clean energy – the very investments we need to win that competition and get those jobs.
It’s a vision that says that in order to reduce the deficit, we have to end Medicare as we know it, and make cuts to Medicaid that would leave millions of seniors, poor children, and Americans with disabilities without the care they need.
But even as this plan proposes these drastic cuts, it would also give $1 trillion in tax breaks to the wealthiest 2% of Americans – an extra $200,000 for every millionaire and billionaire in the country.
I don’t think that’s right. I don’t think it’s right to ask seniors to pay thousands more for health care, or ask students to postpone college, just so we don’t have to ask those who have prospered so much in this land of opportunity to give back a little more.
To restore fiscal responsibility, we all need to share in the sacrifice – but we don’t have to sacrifice the America we believe in.
That’s why I’ve proposed a balanced approach that matches that $4 trillion in deficit reduction. It’s an approach that combs the entire budget for savings, and asks everyone to do their part. And I’ve called on Democrats and Republicans to join me in this effort – to put aside their differences to help America meet this challenge. That’s how we’ve balanced our budget before, and it’s how we’ll succeed again.
We’ll build on the savings we made from last week’s bipartisan budget agreement, while protecting the job-creating investments that are critical to our future.
We’ll find additional savings in our defense budget. Over the last two years, the Secretary of Defense has taken on wasteful spending that does nothing to protect our troops or our nation, saving $400 billion in current and future spending. I believe we can do that again.
We’ll reduce health care spending, and strengthen Medicare and Medicaid through common-sense reforms that will get rid of wasteful subsidies and increase efficiency.
We’ll reduce spending in our tax code with tax reform that’s fair and simple – so that the amount of taxes you pay doesn’t depend on how clever an accountant you can afford. And we should end the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, too. Because people like me don’t need another tax cut.
So that’s my approach to reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the next 12 years while protecting the middle class, keeping our promise to seniors, and securing our investments in our future. I hope you’ll check it out for yourself on WhiteHouse.gov. And while you’re there, you can also find what we’re calling the taxpayer receipt. For the first time ever, there’s a way for you to see exactly how and where your tax dollars are spent, and what’s really at stake in this debate.
Going forward, Democrats and Republicans in Washington will have our differences, some of them strong. But you expect us to bridge those differences. You expect us to work together and get this done. And I believe we can. I believe we can live within our means and live up to the values we share as Americans. And in the weeks to come, I’ll work with anyone who’s willing to get it done.
Thanks for listening. Have a great weekend.
Click here to watch the April 16, 2011 Weekly Republican address delivered by Senator Tom Coburn, MD, of Oklahoma, via GOP.gov saying, in part: “This was a historic week in Washington. For the first time in more than 15 years, Congress, under the leadership of House Republicans, is making significant spending cuts. While these cuts aren’t nearly enough, the American people should be encouraged. You have fundamentally changed the debate in Washington. Instead of increasing spending, Congress is now cutting spending. That is a monumental shift for Washington.”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Speech Video April 12, 2011 Address on National Initiative to Support and Honor America’s Service Members and Families
President Obama Budget Speech Video April 8, 2011: Statement on Budget Deal, Avoiding Government Shutdown
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 9, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript April 2, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Budget Speech Video April 8, 2011: Statement on Budget Deal, Avoiding Government Shutdown
- President Obama Budget Speech Video, Transcript April 7, 2011
- President Obama National Action Network Speech Video April 6, 2011: Address at 20th Anniversary Annual Gala
- President Obama Town Hall Video April 6, 2011 Speech at Gamesa Technology Corp., Fairless Hills, PA
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 26, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Energy Speech Video March 30, 2011: Address on Energy Security at Georgetown University
- President Obama Interview with Erica Hill Video, Transcript March 29, 2011 CBS Evening News
- President Obama Interview with Diane Sawyer Video, Transcript March 29, 2011 ABC World News
- President Obama Interview with Brian Williams Video, Transcript March 29, 2011 NBC Nightly News
- President Obama Speech Video March 29, 2011: Dedication of Ronald H. Brown United States Mission to the United Nations Building
- President Obama Univision Town Hall Video March 28, 2010 Speech at Bell Multicultural High School
- Obama Arlington, Virginia Speech Video March 14, 2011: Address at Kenmore Middle School
- President Obama Libya Speech Video: March 28, 2011 Address at National Defense University
- President Obama Chile Speech Video March 21, 2011: Address in Santiago at Centro Cultural Palacio La Moneda
- President Obama Brazil Speech Video March 20, 2011: Address in Rio de Janeiro at Teatro Municipal
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 19, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Libya Speech Video March 18, 2011 Statement on U.N. Security Council Resolution
- President Obama Japan Speech Video March 17, 2011: Earthquake, Tsunami, Nuclear Crisis Statement
- Obama Arlington, Virginia Speech Video March 14, 2011: Address at Kenmore Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Press Conference Video: March 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Miami, Florida Speech Video March 4, 2011: Address at Miami Central Senior High School
- Obama, Calderon Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Mexican President Hold Joint News Conference March 3, 2011
- President Obama Speech Video Feb. 28, 2011 Address at National Governors Association Meeting
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 26, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Feb. 23, 2011 Statement on Protests in Libya
- Obama Cleveland Speech Video: Feb. 22, 2011 Winning the Future Forum on Small Business at Cleveland State Univ.
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 19, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Hillsboro, Oregon Speech Video: Feb. 18, 2011 Address at Intel Corporation
- President Obama America’s Great Outdoors Initiative Speech Video Feb. 16, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video: Feb. 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference, 2012 Budget Speech
- President Obama Budget 2012 Speech Video Feb. 14, 2011 Address in Baltimore at Parkville Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 11, 2011 Statement on Mubarak Stepping Down
- Obama Marquette, Michigan Speech Video Feb. 10, 2011 Address at Univ. of Northern Michigan
- President Obama Chamber of Commerce Speech Video Feb. 7, 2011
- President Obama Super bowl 2011 Video: Interview with Bill O’Reilly
- President Obama National Prayer Breakfast 2011 Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Penn State University Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 1, 2011: Statement on Protests in Egypt
- Obama, Harper Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Canadian Prime Minister Hold Joint News Conference Feb. 4, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 29, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Manitowoc, Wisconsin Speech Video: Jan. 26, 2011 Address at Orion Energy Systems
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 28, 2011 Address at Families USA 16th Annual Health Action Conference
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 22, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
Obama Schenectady, New York Speech Video: Jan. 21, 2011 Address at General Electric Turbine Plant
Obama, Hu Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Chinese President Hold Joint News Conference Jan. 19, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 15, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Speech Video: Tucson, Arizona Memorial Service Jan. 12, 2011
- President Obama Moment of Silence Honoring Tucson, Arizona Shooting Victims (Video) Jan. 10, 2011
- President Obama Speech on Shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Video Jan. 8, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 8 , 2011 (YouTube, Radio)
- Obama December Jobs Report Speech Video: Jan. 7, 2011 Statement on Unemployment and Economic Appointments
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 6. 2011 William Daley Appointed White House Chief of Staff Announcement
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 1, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video, Transcript: Dec. 22, 2010 Presidential News Conference, End of Year Speech
President Obama Signs Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act into Law: Dec. 22, 2010 Speech, Video
- President Obama Signs Tax Cut Bill into Law: Dec. 17, 2010 Speech, Video
- Obama Press Conference Video: Dec. 7, 2010 Presidential News Conference, Speech on Tax Cuts Deal