Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, April 2, 2011, on radio and YouTube. In his remarks, recorded at a UPS facility in Landover, Maryland, the President discussed his Blueprint for a Secure Energy Future to reduce America’s dependence on foreign oil, secure the nation’s energy future and boost the economy.
Article continues below.
Replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Weekly Address: Energy Security Can Only Come If We Invest in Cleaner Fuels and Greater Efficiency
Remarks of President Barack Obama
As Prepared for Delivery
April 2, 2011
Hello, everybody. I’m speaking to you today from a UPS customer center in Landover, Maryland, where I came to talk about an issue that’s affecting families and businesses just like this one – the rising price of gas, and what we can do as a country to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
This week, I released a Blueprint for a Secure Energy Future. It’s a strategy to reduce the oil we import from around the world, and to make our economy stronger at home. Part of this strategy involves increasing our oil exploration right here in America. In fact, our oil production last year reached its highest level since 2003, and we want to encourage more safe, responsible drilling where we can.
But the truth is, drilling alone is not a real strategy to replace our dependence on foreign oil. And that’s because even though America uses 25 percent of the world’s oil, we currently have only about 2 percent of the world’s oil reserves. Even if we used every last drop of all the oil we have, it wouldn’t be enough to meet our long-term energy needs. So, real energy security can only come if we find ways to use less oil – if we invest in cleaner fuels and greater efficiency.
That’s what we’ve been doing since I took office. For example, we secured an agreement from all the major auto companies to raise the fuel efficiency of their cars and trucks. So if you buy a new car, the better gas mileage is going to save you about $3,000. Altogether, this will save us about 1.8 billion barrels of oil as a country.
We need to build on this progress. As we make our cars and trucks more efficient, we’ve got to harness new technologies to fuel our vehicles with everything from biofuels to natural gas to advanced batteries. And the good news is, these technologies aren’t science fiction anymore. They exist today. Already, American car companies are producing electric vehicles that use little or no gas. And innovators across America are testing new products that hold incredible promise not just for new vehicles, but for countless new jobs.
To help jumpstart this market, the federal government has doubled the number of clean energy vehicles that we have in our fleet. In the next few years, we’re going to switch the entire fleet over. And I’m here at UPS because it’s not just the government getting in on the action. Companies like UPS, FedEx, AT&T, Verizon, and PepsiCo – firms with some of the largest fleets in the country – are switching to more efficient vehicles. And through our Clean Fleets Partnership, driven not by government, but by business, more companies are going to be switching to electric and alternative vehicles, too – not out of the goodness of their hearts, but because it’s good for their bottom lines.
The goal is simple. When I was elected to this office, America imported 11 million barrels of oil a day. Through these and other steps, by a little more than a decade from now, we will have cut that by one third. And by doing so, we’re going to make our economy less vulnerable to wild swings in oil prices. We’re going to use cleaner sources of energy that don’t imperil our climate. And we’re going to spark new products and businesses all over the country by tapping America’s greatest renewable resource: our ingenuity.
We know how important that is. This week, we learned that the economy added 230,000 private sector jobs last month. That makes 1.8 million private sector jobs created in the last thirteen months. That’s a good sign. But we have to keep up the momentum, and transitioning to a clean energy economy will help us do that. It will ensure that the United States of America is home to the jobs and industries of tomorrow. That’s how we’ll win the future. And that’s how we’ll leave our children an America that is more secure and prosperous than before.
Thanks, and have a great weekend.
Click here to watch the April 2, 2011 Weekly Republican address delivered by House Speaker John Boehner, via GOP.gov discussing the new House majority’s efforts to cut spending and confront challenges in job creation in America.
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 26, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Energy Speech Video March 30, 2011: Address on Energy Security at Georgetown University
- President Obama Interview with Erica Hill Video, Transcript March 29, 2011 CBS Evening News
- President Obama Interview with Diane Sawyer Video, Transcript March 29, 2011 ABC World News
- President Obama Interview with Brian Williams Video, Transcript March 29, 2011 NBC Nightly News
- President Obama Speech Video March 29, 2011: Dedication of Ronald H. Brown United States Mission to the United Nations Building
- President Obama Univision Town Hall Video March 28, 2010 Speech at Bell Multicultural High School
- Obama Arlington, Virginia Speech Video March 14, 2011: Address at Kenmore Middle School
- President Obama Libya Speech Video: March 28, 2011 Address at National Defense University
- President Obama Chile Speech Video March 21, 2011: Address in Santiago at Centro Cultural Palacio La Moneda
- President Obama Brazil Speech Video March 20, 2011: Address in Rio de Janeiro at Teatro Municipal
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 19, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Libya Speech Video March 18, 2011 Statement on U.N. Security Council Resolution
- President Obama Japan Speech Video March 17, 2011: Earthquake, Tsunami, Nuclear Crisis Statement
- Obama Arlington, Virginia Speech Video March 14, 2011: Address at Kenmore Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Press Conference Video: March 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Miami, Florida Speech Video March 4, 2011: Address at Miami Central Senior High School
- Obama, Calderon Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Mexican President Hold Joint News Conference March 3, 2011
- President Obama Speech Video Feb. 28, 2011 Address at National Governors Association Meeting
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 26, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Feb. 23, 2011 Statement on Protests in Libya
- Obama Cleveland Speech Video: Feb. 22, 2011 Winning the Future Forum on Small Business at Cleveland State Univ.
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 19, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Hillsboro, Oregon Speech Video: Feb. 18, 2011 Address at Intel Corporation
- President Obama America’s Great Outdoors Initiative Speech Video Feb. 16, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video: Feb. 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference, 2012 Budget Speech
- President Obama Budget 2012 Speech Video Feb. 14, 2011 Address in Baltimore at Parkville Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 11, 2011 Statement on Mubarak Stepping Down
- Obama Marquette, Michigan Speech Video Feb. 10, 2011 Address at Univ. of Northern Michigan
- President Obama Chamber of Commerce Speech Video Feb. 7, 2011
- President Obama Super bowl 2011 Video: Interview with Bill O’Reilly
- President Obama National Prayer Breakfast 2011 Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Penn State University Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 1, 2011: Statement on Protests in Egypt
- Obama, Harper Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Canadian Prime Minister Hold Joint News Conference Feb. 4, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 29, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Manitowoc, Wisconsin Speech Video: Jan. 26, 2011 Address at Orion Energy Systems
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 28, 2011 Address at Families USA 16th Annual Health Action Conference
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 22, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
Obama Schenectady, New York Speech Video: Jan. 21, 2011 Address at General Electric Turbine Plant
Obama, Hu Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Chinese President Hold Joint News Conference Jan. 19, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 15, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Speech Video: Tucson, Arizona Memorial Service Jan. 12, 2011
- President Obama Moment of Silence Honoring Tucson, Arizona Shooting Victims (Video) Jan. 10, 2011
- President Obama Speech on Shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Video Jan. 8, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 8 , 2011 (YouTube, Radio)
- Obama December Jobs Report Speech Video: Jan. 7, 2011 Statement on Unemployment and Economic Appointments
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 6. 2011 William Daley Appointed White House Chief of Staff Announcement
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 1, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video, Transcript: Dec. 22, 2010 Presidential News Conference, End of Year Speech
President Obama Signs Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act into Law: Dec. 22, 2010 Speech, Video
- President Obama Signs Tax Cut Bill into Law: Dec. 17, 2010 Speech, Video
- Obama Press Conference Video: Dec. 7, 2010 Presidential News Conference, Speech on Tax Cuts Deal