Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, March 19, 2011, on radio and YouTube. In his remarks, the President talked about his trip to Latin America and the need to strengthen economic partnerships in the region to foster job creation in the U.S.
Article continues below.
Replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Remarks of President Barack Obama
Weekly Address on Latin America
Saturday, March 19, 2011
In recent days, we’ve seen turmoil and tragedy around the world, from change in the Middle East and North Africa to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. As I said on Friday, we will work with our partners in the region to protect innocent civilians in Libya and hold the Gaddafi regime accountable. And we will continue to stand with the people of Japan in their greatest hour of need.
As we respond to these immediate crises abroad, we also will not let up in our efforts to tackle the pressing, ongoing challenges facing our country, including accelerating economic growth. That’s why, over the weekend, I’ll be in Latin America. One of the main reasons for my trip is to strengthen economic partnerships abroad so that we create good jobs at home.
Latin America is a part of the world where the economy is growing very quickly. And as these markets grow, so does their demand for goods and services. The question is, Where are those goods and services going to come from? As President, I want to make sure these products are made in America. I want to open more markets around the world so that American companies can do more business and hire more of our people.
Here’s a statistic to explain why this is important. Every $1 billion of goods and services we export supports more than 5,000 jobs in the United States. So, the more we sell overseas, the more jobs we create on our shores. That’s why, last year, I set a goal for this country: to double our exports by 2014. And it’s a goal we’re on track to meet.
Part of the reason why is the rapid growth of Latin America, and their openness to American business. We now export more than three times as much to Latin America as we do to China, and our exports to the region will soon support more than two million jobs here in the United States. Brazil, the first stop on our trip, is a great example.
In 2010, America’s exports to Brazil supported more than 250,000 American jobs. These are jobs at places like Capstone Turbine in California, which recently sold $2 million worth of high-tech energy equipment to Brazil. Another company is Rhino Assembly, a small business in Charlotte, North Carolina that sells and repairs tools for building cars and planes. A deal with a distributor in Brazil has resulted in new sales and new employees at that firm. And we can point to large companies like Sikorsky, whose helicopter sales to Brazil help sustain a large, skilled workforce in Connecticut, Alabama, and Pennsylvania.
Today, Brazil imports more goods from the United States than from any other nation. And I’ll be meeting with business leaders from both countries to talk about how we can create even more jobs by deepening these economic ties. After Brazil, I’ll also visit Chile, a country with a growing economy, and increasing demand for American goods. In fact, since 2004, our exports there are up 300 percent, and now support about 70,000 jobs in the United States. Finally, we’ll head to El Salvador, a nation with so much promise for growth with the potential to benefit both of our nations.
We’ve always had a special bond with our neighbors to the south. It’s a bond born of shared history and values, and strengthened by the millions of Americans who proudly trace their roots to Latin America. But what is clear is that in an increasingly global economy, our partnership with these nations is only going to become more vital. For it’s a source of growth and prosperity – and not just for the people of Latin America, but for the American people as well.
Click here to watch the March 12, 2011 Weekly Republican address delivered by Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler of Washington state via GOP.gov discussing the the GOP majority’s efforts in the House to eliminate regulatory barriers to job creation, saying, in part, “We have cut $10 billion over the last 5 weeks, and we are planning more. We will vote to stop the EPA’s backdoor national energy tax that would drive up gas prices. Republicans are committed to offering a budget that gets our fiscal house in order, and fosters an environment to help job growth around the nation. ”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Speech Video March 18, 2011 Statement on Libya, Japan
- President Obama Japan Speech Video March 17, 2011: Earthquake, Tsunami, Nuclear Crisis Statement
- Obama Arlington, Virginia Speech Video March 14, 2011: Address at Kenmore Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Press Conference Video: March 11, 2011 Presidential News Conference
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript March 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Miami, Florida Speech Video March 4, 2011: Address at Miami Central Senior High School
- Obama, Calderon Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Mexican President Hold Joint News Conference March 3, 2011
- President Obama Speech Video Feb. 28, 2011 Address at National Governors Association Meeting
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 26, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Feb. 23, 2011 Statement on Protests in Libya
- Obama Cleveland Speech Video: Feb. 22, 2011 Winning the Future Forum on Small Business at Cleveland State Univ.
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 19, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Hillsboro, Oregon Speech Video: Feb. 18, 2011 Address at Intel Corporation
- President Obama America’s Great Outdoors Initiative Speech Video Feb. 16, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video: Feb. 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference, 2012 Budget Speech
- President Obama Budget 2012 Speech Video Feb. 14, 2011 Address in Baltimore at Parkville Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 11, 2011 Statement on Mubarak Stepping Down
- Obama Marquette, Michigan Speech Video Feb. 10, 2011 Address at Univ. of Northern Michigan
- President Obama Chamber of Commerce Speech Video Feb. 7, 2011
- President Obama Super bowl 2011 Video: Interview with Bill O’Reilly
- President Obama National Prayer Breakfast 2011 Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Penn State University Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 1, 2011: Statement on Protests in Egypt
- Obama, Harper Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Canadian Prime Minister Hold Joint News Conference Feb. 4, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 29, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Manitowoc, Wisconsin Speech Video: Jan. 26, 2011 Address at Orion Energy Systems
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 28, 2011 Address at Families USA 16th Annual Health Action Conference
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 22, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
Obama Schenectady, New York Speech Video: Jan. 21, 2011 Address at General Electric Turbine Plant
Obama, Hu Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Chinese President Hold Joint News Conference Jan. 19, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 15, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Speech Video: Tucson, Arizona Memorial Service Jan. 12, 2011
- President Obama Moment of Silence Honoring Tucson, Arizona Shooting Victims (Video) Jan. 10, 2011
- President Obama Speech on Shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Video Jan. 8, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 8 , 2011 (YouTube, Radio)
- Obama December Jobs Report Speech Video: Jan. 7, 2011 Statement on Unemployment and Economic Appointments
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 6. 2011 William Daley Appointed White House Chief of Staff Announcement
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 1, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video, Transcript: Dec. 22, 2010 Presidential News Conference, End of Year Speech
President Obama Signs Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act into Law: Dec. 22, 2010 Speech, Video
- President Obama Signs Tax Cut Bill into Law: Dec. 17, 2010 Speech, Video
- Obama Press Conference Video: Dec. 7, 2010 Presidential News Conference, Speech on Tax Cuts Deal