Here is President Barack Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, March 5, 2011, on YouTube and radio. In his remarks, the President called for both Democrats and Republicans “to come together on a budget that cuts wasteful spending without sacrificing job-creating investments in education, innovation, and infrastructure.”
Article continues below.
Replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Weekly Address: Both Parties Must Come Together on a Budget that Cuts Wasteful Spending Without Sacrificing Investments in the Future
Remarks of President Barack Obama
As Prepared for Delivery
March 5, 2011
I’m talking with you from Miami, Florida, where I’m visiting Miami Central High School, a school that’s turning itself around on behalf of its kids. And I came here with Jeb Bush, former governor of this state, because he and I share the view that education isn’t a partisan issue – it’s an American issue.
But in a larger sense, this is a moment when we’ve all got to do what the students and teachers are doing here. We’ve got to step up our game.
Our top priority right now has to be creating new jobs and opportunities in a fiercely competitive world. And this week, we received very good news on that front. We learned that the unemployment rate has fallen to its lowest level in nearly two years as our economy added another 222,000 private sector jobs last month.
Now, we have a lot more work to do, not just for the Americans who still don’t have a job, but….
…for the millions more who still don’t have the right job or all the work they need to live out the American Dream. But the progress we’re seeing says something about the determination and ingenuity of our people and our businesses.
What’s also helping to fuel this economic growth are the tax cuts that Democrats and Republicans came together to pass in December and I signed into law – tax cuts that are already making Americans’ paychecks bigger and allowing businesses to write off their investments, freeing uFormer Florida Govern or Jeb Bush joins president Obama at a Florida School event 3-4-11p more money for job creation.
Just as both parties cooperated on tax relief that is now fueling job growth, we need to come together around a budget that cuts spending without slowing our economic momentum.
We need a government that lives within its means without sacrificing job-creating investments in education, innovation, and infrastructure.
The budget I sent to Congress makes these investments, but it also includes a 5-year spending freeze, and it will reduce our deficits by $1 trillion over the next decade. In fact, the cuts I’ve proposed would bring annual domestic spending to its lowest share of the economy under any president in more than 50 years.
Over the last few weeks, Members of Congress have been debating their own proposals. And I was pleased that Democrats and Republicans in Congress came together a few days ago and passed a plan to cut spending and keep the government running for two more weeks. Still, we can’t do business two weeks at a time. It’s not responsible, and it threatens the progress our economy has been making. We’ve got to keep that momentum going.
We need to come together, Democrats and Republicans, around a long-term budget that sacrifices wasteful spending without sacrificing the job-creating investments in our future. My administration has already put forward specific cuts that meet congressional Republicans halfway. And I’m prepared to do more. But we’ll only finish the job together – by sitting at the same table, working out our differences, and finding common ground. That’s why I’ve asked Vice President Biden and members of my Administration to meet with leaders of Congress going forward.
Getting our fiscal house in order can’t just be something we use as cover to do away with things we dislike politically. And it can’t just be about how much we cut. It’s got to be about how we cut and how we invest. We’ve got to be smart about it. Because if we cut back on the kids I’ve met here and their education, for example, we’d be risking the future of an entire generation of Americans. And there’s nothing responsible about that.
We’ve got to come together to put America back on a fiscally sustainable course – and make sure that when it comes to the economy of the 21st century, our children and our country are better-prepared than anyone else in the world to take it on. Our future depends on it. That’s not a Democratic or a Republican challenge – that’s an American challenge. And I’m confident it’s one we’ll meet. Thanks for listening.
Click here to watch the March 5, 2011 Weekly Republican address delivered by Rep. Diane Black of Tennessee on GOP.gov saying, in part, “”Job creation has to be the number-one priority for both parties. The policies of the past haven’t worked, and despite some signs of life in our economy, the unemployment rate is still far above the levels that the president’s advisors promised when the ‘stimulus’ spending bill was signed into law.”
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- Obama Miami, Florida Speech Video March 4, 2011: Address at Miami Central Senior High School
- Obama, Calderon Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Mexican President Hold Joint News Conference March 3, 2011
- President Obama Speech Video Feb. 28, 2011 Address at National Governors Association Meeting
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 26, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Libya Speech Video Feb. 23, 2011 Statement on Protests in Libya
- Obama Cleveland Speech Video: Feb. 22, 2011 Winning the Future Forum on Small Business at Cleveland State Univ.
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 19, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Hillsboro, Oregon Speech Video: Feb. 18, 2011 Address at Intel Corporation
- President Obama America’s Great Outdoors Initiative Speech Video Feb. 16, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video: Feb. 15, 2011 Presidential News Conference, 2012 Budget Speech
- President Obama Budget 2012 Speech Video Feb. 14, 2011 Address in Baltimore at Parkville Middle School
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 12, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 11, 2011 Statement on Mubarak Stepping Down
- Obama Marquette, Michigan Speech Video Feb. 10, 2011 Address at Univ. of Northern Michigan
- President Obama Chamber of Commerce Speech Video Feb. 7, 2011
- President Obama Super bowl 2011 Video: Interview with Bill O’Reilly
- President Obama National Prayer Breakfast 2011 Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Feb. 5, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Penn State University Speech Video Feb. 3, 2011
- President Obama Egypt Speech Video Feb. 1, 2011: Statement on Protests in Egypt
- Obama, Harper Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Canadian Prime Minister Hold Joint News Conference Feb. 4, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 29, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- Obama Manitowoc, Wisconsin Speech Video: Jan. 26, 2011 Address at Orion Energy Systems
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 28, 2011 Address at Families USA 16th Annual Health Action Conference
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 22, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
Obama Schenectady, New York Speech Video: Jan. 21, 2011 Address at General Electric Turbine Plant
Obama, Hu Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Chinese President Hold Joint News Conference Jan. 19, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 15, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Speech Video: Tucson, Arizona Memorial Service Jan. 12, 2011
- President Obama Moment of Silence Honoring Tucson, Arizona Shooting Victims (Video) Jan. 10, 2011
- President Obama Speech on Shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Video Jan. 8, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 8 , 2011 (YouTube, Radio)
- Obama December Jobs Report Speech Video: Jan. 7, 2011 Statement on Unemployment and Economic Appointments
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 6. 2011 William Daley Appointed White House Chief of Staff Announcement
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 1, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video, Transcript: Dec. 22, 2010 Presidential News Conference, End of Year Speech
President Obama Signs Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act into Law: Dec. 22, 2010 Speech, Video
- President Obama Signs Tax Cut Bill into Law: Dec. 17, 2010 Speech, Video
- Obama Press Conference Video: Dec. 7, 2010 Presidential News Conference, Speech on Tax Cuts Deal