Here is President Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, January 29, 2011, on YouTube and radio. President Barack Obama recorded the speech during his trip to Orion Energy Systems in Manitowoc, Wisconsin and singled out the company for its innovation in developing new products and technologies as an example of “how America can win the future by being the best place on Earth to do business.”
Article continues below.
Replay video is above. The complete transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Remarks of President Barack Obama
January 29, 2011
I’m speaking to you today from Manitowoc, Wisconsin, where I’m at an innovative company called Orion Energy Systems.
Just a few years ago, this was an empty warehouse. A major employer had shut down this factory, moved its operations abroad, and took a lot of jobs away from this town.
But today, as you can see behind me, this is a thriving enterprise once more. You are looking at a factory where 250 workers are building advanced clean energy systems – state-of-the-art technologies that use solar power and energy efficiency to save farms and businesses thousands of dollars on their utility bills.
I’m here because this business and others like it are showing us the way forward. And in the coming days, I’ll be shining a spotlight on innovators across America who are relying on new technologies to create new jobs and opportunities in new industries.
That’s what companies like Orion are doing. And that’s how America will win the future – by out-innovating, out-educating, and out-building our competitors. We’ll win the future by being the best place on Earth to do business. That is what we are called to do at this moment. And in my state of the union, I talked about how we get there.
It starts by making sure that every single child can get a good education and every American can afford college or career training. Because that’s what will help light the spark in the minds of innovators – and ensure that our people have the skills to work for innovative companies.
We also need to make sure that America can move goods and information as fast as any of our competitors, whether on the road or online. Because good infrastructure helps our businesses sell their products and services faster and cheaper.
We have to reform our government and cut wasteful spending, so that we eliminate what we don’t need to pay for the investments we need to grow, like education and medical research.
And as we can see here in Manitowoc, we need to ensure that we are promoting innovation – especially in promising areas like clean energy. This is going to be key to growing our economy and helping businesses create jobs. Orion, for example, was able to open with the help of small business loans and incentives that are creating demand for clean energy technologies like wind power and solar panels.
That’s why I’ve proposed a bigger tax credit for the research that companies do. And to give these companies the certainty of knowing there will be a market for what they sell, I’ve set this goal for America: by 2035, 80 percent of electricity should come from clean energy.
This is going to help spark innovation at businesses across America. This is going to spur new products and technologies. This is going to lead to good, new jobs. And that’s how we win the future – by unleashing the talent and ingenuity of American businesses and American workers in every corner of this country.
So to those who say that America’s best days are behind us, let them come here, to Manitowoc. Let them come to this once-shuttered factory that is now bustling with workers building new technologies for the world. Let them come here to see the incredible promise of our country.
This is the future. And it’s bright.
Click here to watch the Weekly Republican address delivered by Senator Ron Johnson, Republican of Wisconsin discussing the GOP plan to reduce spending and the federal deficit.
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- Obama Manitowoc, Wisconsin Speech Video: Jan. 26, 2011 Address at Orion Energy Systems
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 28, 2011 Address at Families USA 16th Annual Health Action Conference
- President Obama State of the Union Address 2011 Video: Jan. 25 Speech to Joint Session of Congress
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 22, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
Obama Schenectady, New York Speech Video: Jan. 21, 2011 Address at General Electric Turbine Plant
Obama, Hu Press Conference Video: U.S. President, Chinese President Hold Joint News Conference Jan. 19, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 15, 2011 (Radio, YouTube)
- President Obama Speech Video: Tucson, Arizona Memorial Service Jan. 12, 2011
- President Obama Moment of Silence Honoring Tucson, Arizona Shooting Victims (Video) Jan. 10, 2011
- President Obama Speech on Shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Video Jan. 8, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 8 , 2011 (YouTube, Radio)
- Obama December Jobs Report Speech Video: Jan. 7, 2011 Statement on Unemployment and Economic Appointments
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 6. 2011 William Daley Appointed White House Chief of Staff Announcement
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 1, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video, Transcript: Dec. 22, 2010 Presidential News Conference, End of Year Speech
President Obama Signs Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act into Law: Dec. 22, 2010 Speech, Video
- President Obama Signs Tax Cut Bill into Law: Dec. 17, 2010 Speech, Video
- Obama Press Conference Video: Dec. 7, 2010 Presidential News Conference, Speech on Tax Cuts Deal
- Obama Winston-Salem, North Carolina Speech Video Dec. 6, 2010 Address at Forsyth Technical Community College
- Obama Speech Video Dec. 4, 2010 Address on U.S., South Korea Trade Agreement
- Obama Afghanistan Speech Video Dec. 3, 2010 Address to the Troops
- Obama November Jobs Report Speech Video: Dec. 3, 2010 in Afghanistan, Statement on Unemployment
- Obama Speech Video Nov. 29, 2010 Statement on Federal Employee Pay Freeze
- Obama October Jobs Report Speech Video: Nov. 5, 2010 Statement on Unemployment
- Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 3, 2010 Presidential News Conference Post-Election
- Obama Seattle Speech Video: Oct. 21, 2010 Backyard Discussion on Women and the Economy
- Obama MTV Town Hall Video: Oct. 14, 2010 A Conversation with President Obama
- Obama September Jobs Report Speech Video: Oct. 8, 2010 Statement on Unemployment
- Obama CNBC Town Hall Video, Transcript Sept. 20, 2010: Investing in America Forum
- Obama August Jobs Report Speech Video: Sept. 3, 2010 Statement on Unemployment
- Obama AFL-CIO Speech Video: Address to AFL-CIO Executive Council, August 4, 2010