Here is President Obama’s weekly address video and transcript from Saturday, January 15 2011, on YouTube and radio. In the speech, President Barack Obama paid tribute to those who lost their lives in the Tucson, Arizona tragedy one week ago and discussed the importance of working with both Democrat and Republican members of Congress to face the challenges the country faces.
Article continues below.
Replay video is above. Transcript text is below, followed by the Republican response video.
Remarks of President Barack Obama
As Prepared for Delivery
The White House
January 15, 2011
It’s been one week since tragedy visited Tucson, Arizona.
We properly spent much of the week mourning the victims and remembering their lives. We also discovered stories that serve to lift us up – stories of heroism and bravery, of courage and community – stories that remind us that we are one American family, 300 million strong.
One of the places we saw that sense of community on display was on the floor of Congress, where Gabby Giffords, who inspires us with her recovery, is deeply missed by her colleagues. One by one, Representatives from all parts of the country and all points of view rose in common cause to honor Gabby and the other victims, and to reflect on our shared hopes for this country.
As shrill and discordant as our politics can be at times, it was a moment that reminded us of who we really are – and how much we depend on one another.
While we can’t escape our grief for those we’ve lost, we carry on now, mindful of those truths.
We carry on because we have to. After all, this is still a time of great challenges for us to solve. We’ve got to grow jobs faster, and forge a stronger, more competitive economy. We’ve got to shore up our budget, and bring down our deficits. We’ve got to keep our people safe, and see to it that the American Dream remains vibrant and alive for our children and grandchildren.
These are challenges I believe we can meet. And I believe we can do it in a way worthy of those who sent us here to serve. So as business resumes, I look forward to working together in that same spirit of common cause with members of Congress from both parties – because before we are Democrats or Republicans, we are Americans.
And as we perform the work of this nation, my prayer is that we stay true to our words, and turn to those examples of heroism, and courage, and perseverance, to bring out the better in all of us.
Thanks for listening, and have a great weekend.
Click here for the Weekly GOP address delivered by Rep. Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona, paying tribute to those who lost their lives in the Tucson, AZ shooting tragedy of Jan. 8, 2011.
Photo credit: Official White House Photo by Pete Souza
- President Obama Speech Video: Tucson, Arizona Memorial Service Jan. 12, 2011
- President Obama Moment of Silence Honoring Tucson, Arizona Shooting Victims (Video) Jan. 10, 2011
- President Obama Speech on Shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Video Jan. 8, 2011
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 8 , 2011 (YouTube, Radio)
- Obama December Jobs Report Speech Video: Jan. 7, 2011 Statement on Unemployment and Economic Appointments
- Obama Speech Video: Jan. 6. 2011 William Daley Appointed White House Chief of Staff Announcement
- President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript Jan. 1, 2011
- Obama Press Conference Video, Transcript: Dec. 22, 2010 Presidential News Conference, End of Year Speech
President Obama Signs Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act into Law: Dec. 22, 2010 Speech, Video
- President Obama Signs Tax Cut Bill into Law: Dec. 17, 2010 Speech, Video
- Obama Press Conference Video: Dec. 7, 2010 Presidential News Conference, Speech on Tax Cuts Deal
- Obama Winston-Salem, North Carolina Speech Video Dec. 6, 2010 Address at Forsyth Technical Community College
- Obama Speech Video Dec. 4, 2010 Address on U.S., South Korea Trade Agreement
- Obama Afghanistan Speech Video Dec. 3, 2010 Address to the Troops
- Obama November Jobs Report Speech Video: Dec. 3, 2010 in Afghanistan, Statement on Unemployment
- Obama Speech Video Nov. 29, 2010 Statement on Federal Employee Pay Freeze
- Obama October Jobs Report Speech Video: Nov. 5, 2010 Statement on Unemployment
- Obama Press Conference Video: Nov. 3, 2010 Presidential News Conference Post-Election
- Obama Seattle Speech Video: Oct. 21, 2010 Backyard Discussion on Women and the Economy
- Obama MTV Town Hall Video: Oct. 14, 2010 A Conversation with President Obama
- Obama September Jobs Report Speech Video: Oct. 8, 2010 Statement on Unemployment
- Obama CNBC Town Hall Video, Transcript Sept. 20, 2010: Investing in America Forum
- Obama August Jobs Report Speech Video: Sept. 3, 2010 Statement on Unemployment
- Obama AFL-CIO Speech Video: Address to AFL-CIO Executive Council, August 4, 2010