Here is the Obama Pennsylvania speech video from Mon. March 8, 2010 on health care insurance reform. President Barack Obama addresses an audience at Arcadia University in Glenside; speech time is 11:00 a.m. ET and can be seen via the live stream video embedded below. Thereafter check back for the full video and transcript text.
UPDATED with video and transcript below.
YouTube Link Speech Part 1
Remaining parts can be seen on YouTube:
UPDATE: Here is the full Obama health care speech transcript.
According to prepared remarks released by the White House, the President will say, in part: “Every year, insurance companies deny more people coverage because they have a pre-existing condition. Every year, they drop more people’s coverage when they’re sick and need it most. Every year, they raise premiums higher and higher. Just last month, Anthem Blue Cross in California tried to jack up rates by nearly 40%. In my home state of Illinois rates are going up by as much as 60%. And you just heard from Leslie, who was hit with a 100% rate increase. 100%. One letter from her insurance company and her premiums doubled. Just like that.
“You see, these insurance companies have made a calculation. The other day, on a conference call organized by Goldman Sachs, an insurance broker told Wall Street investors that insurance companies know they will lose customers if they keep raising premiums. But since there’s so little competition in the insurance industry, they’re ok with people being priced out of health insurance because they’ll still make more by raising premiums on the customers they have. And they will keep doing this for as long as they can get away with it.
“So how much higher do premiums have to rise until we do something about it? How many more Americans have to lose their health insurance? How many more businesses have to drop coverage? How many more years can the federal budget handle the crushing costs of Medicare and Medicaid? When is the right time for health insurance reform?”
Source: The Morning Call.
For more on the trip to Arcadia University in Glenside, PA (which is part of the White House to Main Street tour) and health care reform legislation, see:
- Obama Visits Arcadia University Today
- President Obama takes reform on the road
- Healthcare overhaul comes down to Pelosi and Obama
- Obama Health Care Insurance Reform Speech Video 3-3-10
- Obama Georgia Speech Video: Home Star Energy Efficiency Program Announcement in Savannah 3-2-10
- Obama White House Health Care Summit 2010 Full Video, Transcript 2-25-10 Bipartisan Health Reform meeting.
- Obama White House Health Care Summit Online: Live Stream Video 2010 Bipartisan Health Reform Meeting 2-25-10
- Obama National Governors Association Speech Video 2-22-10
Obama Health Care Plan Proposal Released Online 2-22-10
- Obama Nevada Town Hall Video, Speech, Meeting in Henderson 2-19-10 watch live online Las Vegas
- Obama New Hampshire Town Hall Video, Speech, Meeting in Nashua 2-2-10
Obama YouTube Interview Video, Transcript 2-1-10
Obama Budget 2011 Speech Video, Transcript 2-1-10
- Obama Baltimore Speech Video: House Republican Retreat, Jobs Tax Credit 1-29-10
- Obama Tampa Town Hall Video, Speech, Meeting: High Speed Rail Announcement 1-28-10
- Obama State of the Union Address 2010 Video 1-27-10
- Obama Town Hall Ohio Video 1-22-10: Meeting in Lorain County
- Obama Health Care Speech Video: Presidential Address to Congress 9-9-09 (Pictures)
- Obama School Speech Video, Transcript 9-8-09: Presidential Address to School-Children
- Obama Colorado Town Hall Video, Photos 8-15-09
- Obama Town Hall Video: Obama Health Care Town Hall Video (7-1-09)