Here is the Obama health care insurance reform speech video from Weds. March 3, 2010. President Barack Obama addresses the need for Congress to move forward with health insurance reform legislation. The address takes place at the East Room of the White House; speech time is 1:45 p.m. ET and can be seen via the live stream video embedded below. Thereafter check back for the full video and transcript text.
UPDATED with transcript and video below.
Here is the full transcript of the March 3, 2010 speech.
According to the official White House statement, in his remarks, the President addresses the need for legislation that incorporates the ideas from both the Democratic and Republican parties, and that health care insurance reform must address such issues as lowing insurance premiums stopping discrimination against people who have pre-existing conditions.
The President will say, in part: “I don’t believe we should give government bureaucrats or insurance company bureaucrats more control over health care in America. I believe it’s time to give the American people more control over their own health insurance. I don’t believe we can afford to leave life-and-death decisions about health care to the discretion of insurance company executives alone. I believe that doctors and nurses like the ones in this room should be free to decide what’s best for their patients.
“The proposal I’ve put forward gives Americans more control over their health care by holding insurance companies more accountable. It builds on the current system where most Americans get their health insurance from their employer. If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Because I can tell you that as the father of two young girls, I wouldn’t want any plan that interferes with the relationship between a family and their doctor.”
Source: Excerpts from transcript.
For more on the proposed health care reform legislation, see:
- President Obama to Say Democrats Will Use Reconciliation to Pass Senate Health Care Reform Fix, If Not Given Up or Down Vote
- Obama to Push Health-Care Bill Forward With Nod to Republicans
- President Obama looking for up-or-down vote
- Obama embraces some GOP health care proposals
- As Democrats seek to push through health bill, Obama reaches out to Republicans
- Obama Offers to Use Some G.O.P. Health Proposals
- Obama Georgia Speech Video: Home Star Energy Efficiency Program Announcement in Savannah 3-2-10
- Obama White House Health Care Summit 2010 Full Video, Transcript 2-25-10 Bipartisan Health Reform meeting.
- Obama White House Health Care Summit Online: Live Stream Video 2010 Bipartisan Health Reform Meeting 2-25-10
- Obama National Governors Association Speech Video 2-22-10
Obama Health Care Plan Proposal Released Online 2-22-10
- Obama Nevada Town Hall Video, Speech, Meeting in Henderson 2-19-10 watch live online Las Vegas
- Obama New Hampshire Town Hall Video, Speech, Meeting in Nashua 2-2-10
Obama YouTube Interview Video, Transcript 2-1-10
Obama Budget 2011 Speech Video, Transcript 2-1-10
- Obama Baltimore Speech Video: House Republican Retreat, Jobs Tax Credit 1-29-10
- Obama Tampa Town Hall Video, Speech, Meeting: High Speed Rail Announcement 1-28-10
- Obama State of the Union Address 2010 Video 1-27-10
- Obama Town Hall Ohio Video 1-22-10: Meeting in Lorain County
- Obama Health Care Speech Video: Presidential Address to Congress 9-9-09 (Pictures)
- Obama School Speech Video, Transcript 9-8-09: Presidential Address to School-Children
- Obama Colorado Town Hall Video, Photos 8-15-09
- Obama Town Hall Video: Obama Health Care Town Hall Video (7-1-09)