Here is the Obama Tampa town hall video and high speed rail announcement speech and transcript from Thurs. Jan. 28, 2010 at the Univ. of Tampa Bob Martinez Sports Center. President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden address economic growth, job creation and the proposed national high-speed rail system. Watch the town hall meeting live online on the streaming video at 1:05 p.m. ET posted below after the jump. Thereafter check back for full video and transcript text.
Updated below with video and transcript.
UPDATE: The full video can be seen on C-Span: Obama Tampa Town Hall Full Video
Here is the complete Obama Tampa Town Hall transcript from Jan. 28.
Link Live web-feed video. The event can also be seen live on CNN and via the White House Web site (audio only). It can also be streamed with the special White House iPhone app which is a free download.
The Tampa town hall meeting immediately follows the President’s first State of the Union address during which he made mention of the high speed rail between Tampa and Orlando which will receive $1.25 billion dollars in federal funding as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, commonly known as the Recovery Act or the economic stimulus package.
According to the Tampa Tribune, quoting the state of Florida’s stimulus fund application, the proposed Tampa-Orlando high-speed rail will reportedly create more than 20,000 jobs in construction with an additional 1,100 permanent operations and maintenance jobs. Reaching speeds of up to 160 mph, the train route may potentially be expanded from Orlando to Miami, with an estimated cost of $10 billion dollars, by the year 2017.
The full article is here: Obama’s high-speed rail announcement: $1.25 billion to Florida
As CNN reports, the Tampa-Orlando route is part of the proposed national high speed rail system which will allocate grants from the economic stimulus package for projects and planning initial stages of a national network of high-speed intercity train routes covering 31 states and more than 20 rail corridors.
Source and more details: Obama wants nationwide high-speed rail system
For more background info, see:
- President Obama bringing $1.25 billion to Tampa for Florida high-speed rail
- Crist to greet Obama in Tampa
- Obama brings his jobs message to Tampa
- Obama’s town hall has unique guest: The vice president
A preview video is below.
- Obama State of the Union Address 2010 Video 1-27-10
- Obama Town Hall Ohio Video 1-22-10: Meeting in Lorain County
- Obama Banks Speech Video 1-21-10: Address on The Volcker Rule
- Obama Boston Speech Video: Coakley Rally at Northeastern Univ. 1-17-10
- Obama MLK Speech Video 1-17-10: Address at Vermont Avenue Baptist Church
- Obama Haiti Earthquake Relief Update Speech Video 1-15-10
- Obama Haiti Earthquake Relief Aid Speech Video 1-14-10
Obama Haiti Earthquake Speech Video 1-13-10
- Obama Terrorism, Airline Security, Intelligence Report Speech Video 1-7-10
- Obama Airline Security Speech Video 1-5-10
Obama Terrorism Speech Video 12-28-09
- Obama Copenhagen Speech Video 12-18-09 Climate Change Conference
Obama Home Depot Speech Video 12-15-09
- Obama Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech Video, Photos 12-10-09: Nobel Lecture in Oslo, Norway
- Obama Afghanistan Speech (Video, Photos) West Point Address 12-1-09 transcript
- Obama UN Speech Video, Photos 9-23-09
- Obama Wall Street Speech Video, Photos 9-14-09 (Federal Hall New York)
- Obama Health Care Speech Video: Presidential Address to Congress 9-9-09 (Pictures)
- Obama School Speech Video, Transcript 9-8-09: Presidential Address to School-Children
- Obama Colorado Town Hall Video, Photos 8-15-09
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos 7-22-09
- Obama NAACP Speech (Video, Photos) 7-16-09
- Obama Town Hall Video: Obama Health Care Town Hall Video (7-1-09)
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos 6-23-09
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos: Obama First 100 Days Address 4-29-09