Here is the 2010 Obama State of the Union address video, transcript, photos from Weds. Jan. 27. President Barack Obama delivers the speech live at 9:00 p.m. ET before the U.S. Congressional joint session. Watch it live online via the streaming video and see the transcript below after the jump. Thereafter check back for the full video and pictures of the event.
UPDATE: The full video is below.
Here is the full Obama State of the Union transcript text from Jan. 27, 2010, as released by the White House.
The full gallery of photos can be seen by clicking the picture above.
In the address, the President says: “We face big and difficult challenges. And what the American people hope – what they deserve – is for all of us, Democrats and Republicans, to work through our differences; to overcome the numbing weight of our politics. […]
“By the time I’m finished speaking tonight, more Americans will have lost their health insurance. Millions will lose it this year. Our deficit will grow. Premiums will go up. Co-pays will go up. Patients will be denied the care they need. Small business owners will continue to drop coverage altogether. I will not walk away from these Americans. And neither should the people in this chamber.”
Link Live web-feed video. The event can also be seen on CNN Live as well as on the White House Web site; a live discussion will take place at the White House Facebook Page. It can also be streamed with the special White House iPhone app which is a free download.
Various media reports reveal the predominant theme of the speech will be the economy, job creation and economic growth and setting forth the administration’s agenda for confronting the growing federal budget deficit.
According to the Washington Post, during the highly anticipated Jan. 27 speech, (Jan. 28 in some time zones) President Obama will discuss the detailed initiatives proposed for middle-class families including tax credits and other economic support. Additionally, he will discuss the proposed three-year spending freeze (on non-security discretionary spending) to control the budget deficit. At the same time, programs such as education will be preserved. In fact, according to administration officials, he will propose a 6.2 percent increase in education spending over the previous year — up to $4 billion — in the form of federal funding for elementary and secondary school, as well as towards continuing Bush administration programs which had expanded testing in schools to monitor progress of students.
For more background, see:
- In Speech, Obama to Admit Missteps in First Year
- A New, Improved State of the Union?
- State of the Union speech unlikely to ease worries, analysts say
- Obama’s State of the Union address will focus on economy
- Some Obama goals for administration have still not been met
- Obama to Seek Freeze on Some Spending to Trim Deficits
A preview video is below.
- Obama Town Hall Ohio Video 1-22-10: Meeting in Lorain County
- Obama Banks Speech Video 1-21-10: Address on The Volcker Rule
- Obama Boston Speech Video: Coakley Rally at Northeastern Univ. 1-17-10
- Obama MLK Speech Video 1-17-10: Address at Vermont Avenue Baptist Church
- Obama Haiti Earthquake Relief Update Speech Video 1-15-10
- Obama Haiti Earthquake Relief Aid Speech Video 1-14-10
Obama Haiti Earthquake Speech Video 1-13-10
- Obama Terrorism, Airline Security, Intelligence Report Speech Video 1-7-10
- Obama Airline Security Speech Video 1-5-10
Obama Terrorism Speech Video 12-28-09
- Obama Copenhagen Speech Video 12-18-09 Climate Change Conference
Obama Home Depot Speech Video 12-15-09
- Obama Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech Video, Photos 12-10-09: Nobel Lecture in Oslo, Norway
- Obama Afghanistan Speech (Video, Photos) West Point Address 12-1-09 transcript
- Obama UN Speech Video, Photos 9-23-09
- Obama Wall Street Speech Video, Photos 9-14-09 (Federal Hall New York)
- Obama Health Care Speech Video: Presidential Address to Congress 9-9-09 (Pictures)
- Obama School Speech Video, Transcript 9-8-09: Presidential Address to School-Children
- Obama Colorado Town Hall Video, Photos 8-15-09
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos 7-22-09
- Obama NAACP Speech (Video, Photos) 7-16-09
- Obama Town Hall Video: Obama Health Care Town Hall Video (7-1-09)
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos 6-23-09
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos: Obama First 100 Days Address 4-29-09