Here is the Obama Boston Speech video and transcript from Sun. Jan. 17, 2010 at the Northeastern Univ. rally for Martha Coakley, the Democratic U.S. Senate candidate who seeks to win the seat formerly held in Massachusetts by the late Ted Kennedy. The candidate, who presently is the Massachusetts Attorney General, is running against Republican opponent state Senator Scott Brown in a closely watch election whose outcome will either continue or end the 60 vote Democratic majority in the Senate.
Addressing the crowd of approximately 1,500, among whom were Vicki Kennedy, the late Senator’s widow, Obama said: “You have the unique and special opportunity to fill the seat that Sen. Kennedy held for nearly 47 years.” Speaking of Kennedy, he reflected upon battles he had waged for people, fighting for the working men and women, and were always on their side.
At one point during the Coakley rally, Obama was heckled repeatedly by a two men, one with a pro-life sign, and a boy, who were eventually drowned out by applause and cheering, and the hecklers were escorted out of the room.
In discussing the opponent Scott Brown, he noted that he had voted with the Republicans 96 percent of the time, and commenting upon Brown’s campaign style of driving around in a truck, Obama said Brown had driven the truck to Wall Street and that bankers do not need one more vote in the Senate.
He said the race on Tues. was about, “Who is going to be on your side?” He added: “Where we don’t want to go now is backwards. We’ve got so much work left to do. … I can’t do it alone. I need leaders like Martha by my side so we can kick it into high gear so we can finish what we’ve started.”
A full recap is here: Obama: Scott Brown in ‘lockstep’ with Washington GOP. A summary and partial transcript: Obama to the rescue as Coakley struggles. Pictures from the rally can be seen here: Obama Seeks To Save Senate Seat, Health Vote Check back for the full text transcript. The video is below.
For more background, see:
- Enthusiasm gap in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Race Tests Staying Power of Democrats
- Martha Coakley and Scott Brown fight to the finish
Check back for the full Obama Boston speech transcript text from Sun. Jan. 17, 2010. Video is below.
Link — Full Speech part 1
- Obama MLK Speech Video 1-17-10: Address at Vermont Avenue Baptist Church
- Obama Haiti Earthquake Relief Update Speech Video 1-15-10
- Obama Haiti Earthquake Relief Aid Speech Video 1-14-10
Obama Haiti Earthquake Speech Video 1-13-10
- Obama Terrorism, Airline Security, Intelligence Report Speech Video 1-7-10
- Obama Airline Security Speech Video 1-5-10
Obama Terrorism Speech Video 12-28-09
- Obama Copenhagen Speech Video 12-18-09 Climate Change Conference
Obama Home Depot Speech Video 12-15-09
- Obama Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech Video, Photos 12-10-09: Nobel Lecture in Oslo, Norway
- Obama Afghanistan Speech (Video, Photos) West Point Address 12-1-09 transcript
- Obama UN Speech Video, Photos 9-23-09
- Obama Wall Street Speech Video, Photos 9-14-09 (Federal Hall New York)
- Obama Health Care Speech Video: Presidential Address to Congress 9-9-09 (Pictures)
- Obama School Speech Video, Transcript 9-8-09: Presidential Address to School-Children
- Obama Colorado Town Hall Video, Photos 8-15-09
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos 7-22-09
- Obama NAACP Speech (Video, Photos) 7-16-09
- Obama Town Hall Video: Obama Health Care Town Hall Video (7-1-09)
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos 6-23-09
- Obama Press Conference Video, Photos: Obama First 100 Days Address 4-29-09
Never Miss a Story!
Subscribe to our DAILY Newsletter!
Thank you Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.