Beyonce is on the cover of Elle Magazine January 2009, featured in a photo shoot and profiled in a cover story. See the photos, recent video and article excerpts here. The music superstar’s third studio album, I Am…Sasha Fierce, was released in November 2008 and the 1950s era music biopic Cadillac Records, in which she both stars as legendary singer Etta James and served as the executive producer, was released on December 5, 2008 in theaters.
Elle Magazine article, in which both Beyonce and her mother, Tina Knowles were interviewed, covers a range of topics, including her marriage to Jay-Z, her alter ego Sasha Fierce, and the emotional intensity of playing Etta James. Here is an excerpt.
As Tina Knowles, Beyoncé’s mother and best friend, puts it, “Etta’s a little rough around the edges. And when Beyoncé came off the set, she’d be rough too, and a little snappy. Even her walk. She had said, ‘Mama, show me that Galveston walk.’ She modeled it after our housekeeper, Janelle, who’s what we call a real beer-joint woman. Smoking, swaggering.”
Jay-Z watched B. sauntering around the room that night and he exclaimed, “Oh, here we go! We’ve got Etta in our midst.” He looked at B. and said, “You better go get a hotel.”
Here, at long last, was a role B. had been waiting her whole life to play. And not just in the movies. […]
Cadillac Records, the fictionalized story of Chicago’s Chess Records, introduced B. to what had been for her a lost generation of black musicians who’d ruled the airwaves back in the ’50s: Muddy Waters. Little Walter. Willie Dixon. And Etta James. These were her rough-hewn elders, blues and soul division, whose music spoke to their own generation with the same degree of authenticity that rap, which Chuck D. of Public Enemy famously called “the black CNN,” did for her peers. For B., the exposure to this history in general, and to the example of Etta James in particular, was to prove a liberation.
Another way to look at Etta James, whose heyday was the ’50s and ’60s, is as the Sasha Fierce of her era, but a real-life Sasha rather than merely the persona that “takes over” B. when she performs. Etta was Sasha who loved the needle. Sasha who had no place to go when her luck ran out. But a Sasha who never stopped singing.
Photo credit: Alexei Hay/Elle Magazine
Here is video from of Beyonce meeting professional dancer and Youtube celebrity Shane Mercado at the New York City premiere of Cadillac Records on December 3, 2008. He recently parodied her “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It”) music video.
Via The Beyonce Network
- Video & Photos: Beyonce ‘Ave Maria’ Christmas in Rockefeller Center 2008
- Beyonce GIANT Magazine December 2008 January 2009 Cover Photos, Video
- Beyonce Today Show Video, Photos 11-26-08 Live Performance
- Beyonce on Ellen DeGeneres Show (Photos, Video) Interview, Performance 11-25-08
- Beyonce American Music Awards 2008 (Video, Photos) “Single Ladies” Live Performance 11-23-08
- Photos: Beyonce and Takuya Kimura in Samantha Thavasa Ads
- Video & Photos: Beyonce SNL 11-15-08, MTV Total Finale Live 11-16-08 Performances
- Video: Beyonce on Oprah Interview and Performance 11-13-08
- Video & Photos: Beyonce MTV Europe Music Awards 2008 “If I Were a Boy” Live Performance 11-6-08
- Video: “Cadillac Records” Movie Trailer
- Photos: Beyonce Gotham Magazine November 2008
- Video & Photos: Beyonce and Tina Knowles House of Dereon at Bloomingdale’s 10-28-08
- Beyonce Promo Photos “I Am…Sasha Fierce” Album
- First Look: “Cadillac Records” Movie Poster (Official)
- Video: “Cadillac Records” Movie Trailer (TV Commercial) + New Photos
- First Look: Beyonce as Etta James “Cadillac Records” (Photos), Soundtrack Album Cover
- Video & Photos: Fashion Rocks 2008 Beyonce as Etta James “At Last” + Justin Timberlake Duet
- Video & Photos: Beyonce “At Last” Performance Bermuda Music Festival 10-2-08
- Photos: Conde Nast 5th Anniversary Fashion Rocks 2008 Concert Performances 9-5-08
- Beyonce InStyle Magazine November 2008 Cover, Photos, Video
- Music Video: Beyonce “If I Were a Boy” (Official) + Video Shoot Photos
- Music Video: Beyonce “‘Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” + Behind the Scenes Video
- Beyonce Essence Magazine November 2008 Cover
- Photos: Beyonce Honored at Miami Children’s Hospital 2008 Diamond Ball 10-4-08
- Beyonce “Fashion Rocks” Photo 2008
- Photos: Beyonce, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake Fashion Rocks September 2008
- Photos: Beyonce Marie Claire UK October 2008 Photo Shoot
- Beyonce Marie Claire UK Cover October 2008
- Beyonce L’Oreal Ad Campaign Photo ELLE Magazine September 2008
- Video & Photos: Solange, Beyonce and Tina Knowles on CBS The Early Show 8-28-08
Beyonce Elle Magazine January 2009 Cover, Photos pics pictures
Never Miss a Story!
Subscribe to our DAILY Newsletter!
Thank you Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.